Chapter 20

Hey guys happy Friday so yeah the usual hope you enjoy still waiting on newsies live news or reviews or comments or messages and still super excited for the reunion!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway hope you all enjoy reading!!!!!! Britishfansie24601xxxxxxxxx

Light shot into the room waking me up from the few hours I slept last light. I had laid on the bed fully clothed for most of the night yet again failing by being too scared to fall asleep. I blinked slowly in the light hurting my fatigued eyes.

"Get up Doll you've got a busy day!" yelled Splits,

I got up quickly before he could get to my bed,

"You've got an hour get ready, I want your dress when you're finished." He said eying it carefully, obviously wanting to sell it.

I nodded and he walked out of the room locking it behind him.

I walked into the bathroom, looking at it for the first time in the light, there was a much better mirror this time, I looked my reflection and became embarrassed. My eyes were red from crying and my hair was greasy since I hadn't washed it since the day Morris took me.

I pumped some water into the bath and climbed in trying to wash all the dirt and sweat and anxiety away. I got out of the bath as fast as I could not wanting to be so exposed. I wrapped a surprisingly soft towel around myself and dried off my hair pulling the front of it away from my face which was now clean.

I walked out of the bathroom in my underwear and folded my dress on my bed silently saying goodbye to it. I walked over to the wardrobe and opened it in search of clothes. I examined them all and finally picked out a simple white blouse and grey skirt.

I heard the lock again and Splits came inside grabbing the dress from the bed before rushing out the room motioning for me to come with him.

I followed him nervously, praying that there wouldn't be any of his so called newsies downstairs, I was so pleased to see that there weren't, but thinking about it they wouldn't be up at this time if they didn't sell papers.

Splits kept on walking, me following behind him but not too closely he stopped when we came to this kitchen like my bedroom it was surprisingly in good condition yet it looked like no one had used in forever.

"The boys want breakfast in an hour, you make it everyday." He ordered then walking out the back door onto the street.

I looked around in panic, my mind rushing back to anything I had learnt about cooking I began scouting the kitchen for ingredients finding some flour water and a couple of eggs. Right so that was enough to make bread. I struggled through the recipe I had somewhere in the back of my mind until I successfully managed to pull off a huge loaf of bread. I sliced it and shoved it on the end of the counter.

When I heard the boys coming down for breakfast I ran across the other side of the kitchen and wedged myself between the kitchen counter and the back door. I heard shouts of amazement at fresh food and smiled slightly, soon the shouts and noises calmed down and the room was silent. I sat there for a few seconds just to make sure.

Then the door flew open on me, I screamed in shock as it hit me painfully in the shoulder,

"What the hell are you doing?!" yelled Splits as he pushed his way through the door, knocking me completely onto the floor.

I laid there in pain looking up at him in fear,

"Why the hell were you trying to get out the door?" he yelled down at me.

"I was just cleaning after..." I stuttered trying my best not to sound like I was lying.

He reached down onto the floor and pulled me up through a fist of my hair, I flinched in pain as he dragged me up my scalp burning.

"Don't you dare ever lie to me again, you were trying to get out!" He said shouting in my face, my eyes began watering in fear.

He glared at me for a long moment before dragging me by my hair, into the common room, my heart began to beat in fear at his earlier threat of leaving me alone with him. I looked in front of me too see the large group of boys who were now stood to attention with the presence of their teacher yet none of them looked in pity or shock at me all of their faces were strong and awaiting.

"No one lets her out of the house understood I want someone watchin here when she's out of her room." He said physically gesturing with me shoving me forward a hand still pulling my hair.

The boys all nodded, then Splits pulled tightly on my hair and forced me up the stairs and back into my room throwing me on the floor and slamming the door behind us.

"I don't care if you think you can get out of here, you can't so don't even try." He said his voice becoming quieter but remained threatening.

I felt the tears come pouring out of my eyes, a mixture of fear and anger that I had let this happen on my first day here after I intended to just stay quiet.

"I've done nothing to make you cry doll but I can trust me I can I know for a fact Morris didn't put his hands on you but I will I'm not afraid to hurt you like he is." He yelled the anger returning rapidly to his voice.

I looked up in horror as his foot came towards and made painful contact with my stomach, my throat hitched as all the air was knocked out of me.

I heard his footsteps walk across the floor and the lock click again.

I laid there on the floor in pain struggling to breathe as tears poured down my face, I had never been hurt like this I now find it even more remarkable how Jack and Race recovered from full on soakings. After a long time the pain died down and I could move off the floor I sat on the bed and curled up into a ball hugging my knees petrified of what else could happen.

The sound of the lock clicked again and I sat up and looked towards the door, I scooted to the back of the bed petrified that Splits would walk in,

Morris stood in the doorway.

"I think you should see this," he said gesturing to the paper in his hand.