Chapter Twentythree

A/N: I AM SO SORRY. It's been a month since I updated. I'm a horrible human being. Please don't murder me...

On the bright side, this chapter reached 5.1k words :)
So far, the longest chapter in this soon to be ending story. I sort of want it to end so I can have 1 completed novel-sized work on here...but I also don't.
Regardless, I hope all of you enjoy this chapter. I worked pretty hard on it since some events that occur in it have been in my head since the beginning of the fic. I love you all, and thank you for your reviews. I can't express how happy they make me since writing is my life!

Enjoy!

P.S: This chapter is not beta edited yet, but I did my best. I iz perdy sure it has no grammar mistakes. This note will be removed once it is.

Chapter 23

A house of cards is a very fragile thing. The symbolic blood, sweat, and tears it takes to build such a structure is only the more devastation when it falls.
That's what those few moments felt like to Harry. A shattering feeling when in an instant all his hard work was on the floor. Every lie he'd told. Every second he spent hiding behind fake smiles and words of reassurance that they could trust him. Wasted.

The young wizard was only speechless for mere seconds. Instincts kicked in like a blow to the chest. There was no way he could allow the house of cards to fall. Not like that. It had been too easy—too simple. He couldn't accept that fate just yet.

If only he could've stopped time to gather his thoughts, but sadly, time was a thing Harry did not possess. He hastily stepped closer to both boys. Darren took a cautious step back while Mike was still frozen on the spot. The only words that escaped Harry's mouth were a series of unintelligible phrases with the occasional 'Mike', 'Darren', or the well thought out 'I can explain'.

Once Harry got to a close enough of to them, he dropped his wand and put his hands up in the air in the 'I come in peace' gesture.
From the way they were looking at him, he might as well have been the alien from that movie 'E.T' the three muggles had shown him.

Fear was expected in this situation. What wasn't was Mike advancing on him at lighting speed with glazed, unfocused eyes. Harry didn't know if he should be more concerned of the attack or how pale Mike's face was. At this stage the blond boy was either on the verge of fainting or throwing up on Harry.

Mike grabbed Harry by the shoulders both shakily and harshly. Even with the evident disbelief and fright written in his stare, he didn't hesitate to attack. If Mike wanted to fight him, Harry wasn't about to fight back. It would only leave more cracks on the already broken situation. Harry felt his back scrape bark as he was pinned to tree. He winced, but didn't struggle.

In all the commotion between the two—as always—Harry's friends came to his rescue. The young wizard had abandoned his wand but his friends had not. While Harry chose to act recklessly once again—not taking into account Mike's physique and visible insanity—his friends weren't about to let Harry take a possibly fatal beating in front of their eyes. Screw the circumstances.

Mike's face was close enough for Harry to feel his hot, ragged breath. His eyes were wild and afraid, but also determined.

"Where is Linda?"

Harry had been expecting a punch to the face. This question took him aback. In these short moments he had forgotten about Linda's kidnapping.
After finding out your friends are wizards, a being you had never before believed existed, this was not how he expected Mike to react.