Fourteen

XIV: The Fiance

"YOU CAN do this," I told myself starring at my reflection. "It's just dinner. A perfectly normal, civilized dinner."

"Yeah, right," I muttered under my breath and walked out of the bathroom. I didn't want to look at myself any more.

While I waited for the slightly moist hair in the rollers to dry, I sat in the center of the bed and scrolled down my contacts until I found the one I was looking for.

The line rang once, twice, and a third time before Grandmother picked up. "Yes?"

"What am I doing, Grandmother?" I groaned out and leaned my face onto my palm.

Her voice sounded amused and I could practically envision her smiling. "I give up, Eleanor. What are you doing?"

"You mean other than acting like a child? Nothing much."

"Alright, you've lost me. Take a deep breath and start from the beginning. What happened?"

"Well," I began as I stood and walked over to the closet. "Simone invited me to dinner at our parent's house."

"Oh." she said after a moment. "So what's the problem?"

"The problem is that I have to go!"

"No, you don't, dear. You can just call up your parents and tell them you aren't coming. If you want I can call my son right now and tell him where he can stick his invitation."

I laughed and nearly dropped the phone. "Oh, my gosh. No, that's okay Grandmother."

"Are you going then?" I sighed and pulled out a simple black cocktail dress. No, much too formal.

"Do I have a choice? You know how Simone is. And I'm not a child anymore. I can stand up to them, can't I?" The last words of my response got quieter and quieter until I worried that she hadn't heard me.

"Of course you can. And you will. Now you go get yourself all primped and beautiful. Show them that you were just fine without their goddamn money!" I smiled a little.

"Thank you, Grandmother. You always know what to say. "

"Any time, sweat pea. And remember, you can come to me with anything. I'd even help you hide the body."

I laughed and shook my head. She really was a crazy old coot. "I might hold you up to that."

"I'll be expecting your call all dressed up in my spy outfit."

"And what does your 'spy outfit' consist of?" I asked with a huge grin.

"A black trenchcoat of course. And big, Prada sunglasses. Oh, and I can't forget a silk scarf to cover my hair-color."

"Dear God, we'd be caught in the matter of hours with you walking around dressed like that." I pulled out another dress, this one a little more casual and the deepest, richest olive green tone. I threw it on the chaise lounge next to the other maybes.

"I could always pay the Feds off," Grandmother said in a mock-ominous tone. I rolled my eyes but couldn't fight the smile on my lips. I really had missed her.

"Yeah, okay. I have to go, Grandmother. I'm still choosing my outfit for tonight."

"Go with grey. It brings out the blue in your eyes."

"Thank you, Grandmother," I said as I spotted a cute grey and white plaid print dress. The hem of the dress sat high on my thighs, so I decided to pair it with a pair of mauve colored stockings to shield me from the cold winter air.