Twenty Three

XXIII: Lost & Found

THE TIP TAP OF my calf boots was the only sound that could be heard in the hallway as I hesitantly walked forward. I bit down on my lip, uncertain of what I was about to do, and brought my fisted hand to rap against the metal door. The door opened after a few moments, and when I saw him I offered up a paper bag full of junk food with an apologetic smile. "Peace offering?"

Cole eyed the bag and sighed before stepping back from the door to let me inside his condo. "There better be ice cream in there."

I walked ahead and placed the paper bag on his kitchen counter. "Don't insult me," I teased while removing my coat. 

"What's this about, Elle?" Cole asked with a sour expression on his face but nonetheless accepted the spoon and quart of ice cream I handed him. 

I cleared my throat, buying myself time. "I uhh came to apologize. For the other day, I mean. With Maxton."

"Apology accepted. But my face isn't feeling very forgiving right now," he said pointing to his swollen jaw. Laughing, I reached for the other quart of ice cream and smacked it against his face.

"Better?" I said innocently as I watched him wince. He sent me a glare when I laughed and pulled the cap off to take a spoonful into my mouth. 

"Yeah. That really helped, thanks. Now if you're all done messing with me go ahead and let yourself out." I looked down at my hands and frowned. I couldn't exactly explain why I came here of all places. I liked hanging out with Cole (along with our mutual friend vodka) and if I were being honest with myself, I really needed a friend right now. 

"What's wrong?" he asked when he took in my expression. 

"Can I trust you, Cole?" I said in a low voice, avoiding his eyes and fidgeting with my hands. 

There was silence as Cole walked around the kitchen island and came to stand beside me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and another on my chin, tipping it up to meet my gaze. "Course you can. What on your mind?"

I swallowed and took a soothing breath. "I did something stupid."

His puzzled expression gave his confusion away, but he didn't push me to say anything. Cole simply sat down in the stool next to me and waited for me to decide how much I wanted to share with him. "Did you ever loose a toy when you were a kid? You had resigned to never see it again and then one day you find it and you want it so much but it turns out it belongs to another kid now?"

"I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me here, Elle." I looked at him: into his honest, kind eyes the color of the sky and smiled. For whatever reason, I trusted Cole Richmond. 

So I told him. 

I told him about the day I ran out of my house that December afternoon five years ago. I told him about the little coffee shop I discovered as I wondered the streets of the city. I told him about the charming, down-to-earth barista I met. I told him about the next time I visited the shop nearly a week from the day we first met, and about the fun date the barista took me on after his shift was over. 

I told him how hard and fast I fell for that boy; I told him about how comfortable and happy I was with Max. I told him of our disagreements concerning my world and my family. I told him about Max's and I's argument on our three month anniversary.

I told him how badly I ended things with him. With a teary smile on my lips, I allowed myself to remember Max's heartbroken expression as I ran away, leaving him frozen on the sidewalk as the storm beat down on us.

I told him of my arranged-marriage engagement to Dexter Arbogast. And then I told him about my suicide attempt. I kept the details to myself though, stubbornly refusing to divulge the horrors of that night. Instead I toyed with my diamond bracelet as I told Cole the events of the last week I've been back in the States.