Twenty Eight

Warning: Unedited. Read at your own risk lol.

Twenty Eight - One Point One Million Dollar Man

MY EYELIDS FLUTTERED, my long lashes tickling my cheeks, before they opened to take in the chocolate brown eyes staring into my own. 

Hannah gave me a small smile and turned onto her back to stare up at the ceiling. "Men suck don't they?" 

I let out a weak laugh and folded my hands underneath my cheek. "That they do."

"Tripp is an ass. So is my brother, come to think of it. I'm surprised you've stuck around. Had I been you...well I don't think I could sit calmly behind and watch my sister marry my first love."

A gasp escaped my lips as I sat upright to stare down with wide eyes at the girl laying beside me. "W-What?"

Hannah continued looking up at the ceiling as she let out a deep breath. "I've know it was you for a while now. I had a feeling since our fitting, but I didn't want to believe it."

"You...you know?" she nodded and turned to look at me with an amused smile. 

"I was convinced at my Cotillion. I was just waiting for you to slip up. I was sure my Nana was going to recognize you, but maybe she's far worse than I originally thought."

"She did recognize me," I said in a voice barely above a whisper as I let my body deflate and land on the soft, feather pillow. "For a bit. She asked for Max."

I saw her nod from the corner of my eye, "Yes. She asks for him a lot."

We let a piercing silence fall between us, and it wasn't for a long time that I spoke again. "How did you know? You were only a kid when we first met."

Hannah nudged my side with her elbow and sent me a raised eyebrow look. "Easy. I've never met a more beautiful person before you. Not just how pretty you are, but the beauty inside you."

She turned her head towards me and held my gaze, "No one cares about me."

My heart broke for the girl and I didn't hesitate to envelop her into an embrace. "Don't say that, plenty of people care about you."

"Not the way you do," I heard her muffled voice say. I pulled back a little and frowned at the tears that had formed in her eyes. 

"Your brother has a funny way of showing it, but he does love you."

She shook her head and closed her eyes. "Max doesn't love anyone, not even himself. Life really did a number on him, huh?" 

I winced at her words but didn't answer. How could I? It wasn't life, it was I that crushed the old Max. Darkness took over Max's heart, the same darkness I can see now looming over Hannah's fragile shoulders. I couldn't let it dim her light. I won't let it. 

Wiping the one traitorous tear from my cheek, I sprang up off the bed. "I'm starving. You in the mood for pancakes?"

"YOU KNOW, WHEN you said breakfast, I kind of assumed you meant waking up the maid or ordering out," Hannah said eying the numerous ingredients laying on the spotless counter. 

"What's the fun in that?" I asked pulling on an apron I found buried in one of the cabinets.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe not dying of food poisoning?" I rolled my eyes at her.

"Shut up and tie me up. We've got a lot of work to do."

"Alright Iron Chef," Hannah said with a growing smirk. "Whatever you say."