Chapter 5

While walking on the way to school, I can't help but remember the talk we had last night. This is so stupid. Why did I ever agree to this? 

"Irene?" Taehyung said while tapping on your right shoulder. "Hmm?"

"Is there something wrong? You've been spacing out a lot and it's worrying me." He said while giving me a very concerned look. 

"I'm doing fine but do you think we should enter the school grounds separately? I think it will be weird for people to see us entering the school at the same time." I said but it looks like it hurt him a little bit. 

"Yeah, that's totally fine." He said and waited for me to go first 

Shoot. Did I say something wrong? 

As I entered the courtyard, I was soon encountered by Wendy. 

"Look at the newlyweds!" She screamed but I soon covered her mouth with my hands and dragged her inside the school. 

"Can you be quiet?" I said while getting flustered with the thought of anyone hearing. 

"I'm sorry! It's just so nice to see you both together again." She said while putting her hands on my left shoulder and then pulled me into a hug. 

"Alright alright, but give me the update of you and Namjoon!" I asked while placing my backpack into my locker. 

"I think we're doing great! We're going on a date tonight." She said while looking at her phone. Is she texting him right now as we speak? 

"I can see that you like him a lot. It's nice seeing you like this also." I said and proceeded to walk over to my desk. "I know. I make it obvious that I like him but I've always liked him since grade school." She said with a genuine tone. 

The class was about to start and I didn't see Taehyung enter the classroom yet. "I'll be right back, I need to find Taehyung," I said while leaving the conversation mid-way and feeling really bad about that. 

I exited the class and started thinking of places around the school. It can't be the rooftop but it also can't be the courtyard. As I was searching around, I stumbled upon an abandoned courtyard. I remember the school telling us that they won't be taking care of this courtyard anymore, but the overgrown weeds and vines made it look prettier anyways. 

"Taehyung?" 

He turned around and there he goes giving me that smile. 

"What are you doing here dork?" I asked while taking a seat next to him on the water fountain that is still running. I guess the school forgot to shut off the water for this part of the fountain. 

"I'm just thinking." He said while looking up at the pretty clouds. 

"Hmm, what are you thinking about?" I asked while placing my head on his left shoulder. "I'm just thinking about our future together and what it would look like." He said while placing his head on top of mine. 

What did he just say? 

"Oh really?" I said in a tone where it almost sounded sarcastic. 

"I'm kidding, kinda. I don't know. I just needed somewhere quiet to collect my thoughts." He said while patting my head. 

"I don't want to interrupt your thinking but class is starting soon. Let's go back and we can go home and talk about what's going on, okay?" I said while getting up and placing my hand in front of him. 

He looked at my hands for a minute and soon grabbed them. 

"I know this sounds kiddish but can we hold hands until we get to the classroom?" He suggested while giving me a very genuine look. 

"You want to hold hands while going back? You do know that kids are still-"

"I don't care about that. I'm no longer entitled to Minah and It doesn't hurt anyone right?" He said which made me reconsider what I said at the courtyard. 

"Yeah, okay I'm fine with that," I said while interlocking my hands with his. 

As we were walking back, this felt like middle school. Who still holds hands in high school? 

"Don't forget that we still need to go to IKEA for our furniture." He said while squeezing my hands. 

"Did you just squeeze my hands?" I said while forgetting about the errand we have to run today but by the time I asked, we were already in front of the classroom. 

----

I went up to the rooftop during lunch and there he was. Sitting on the couch and reading his book. 

"It seems like this is going to be your favorite place until graduation," I said while taking a seat next to Namjoon. "I mean, my favorite person is here also." He said while giving me that gummy smile again. 

"I need to ask you something and you have to tell me the truth okay?" I said while holding up my pinky in front of him. "Yes, anything for you." He said and interlocked his pinky with mine. 

"Are you actually serious about Wendy? I don't want her to get hurt." I asked 

"I don't know yet. I feel like I'm starting to grow onto her but I feel like all I'll do is just hurt her. I'm confused right now because sometimes when we're hanging out, I'll just think about you." He confessed 

????

"You- you think about me?" I asked while sounding shocked. 

"I mean, of course. We both studied together for a while and sometimes it wasn't just studying. We had meaningful conversations and I felt the emotions in my rise up. I felt something." He said 

"Namjoon I-"

"It's okay. I know you don't like me and I know that I'll never be Taehyung, but for a moment. It felt real to me and I'm sure it did feel real to you also." He stated while pulling me in for a hug. 

I can't help but feel this very sad sensation with him. I felt the same too. 

"If I'm gonna be honest. I honestly felt something for you too. I know I never said anything but by the time I wanted to tell you, Wendy had explained to me that she liked you and I didn't want to crush her feelings because it takes so much for her to be vulnerable with someone, but she was able to do that with you." I said while hugging him tighter 

He pulled back. 

"Wait- you felt the same too?" He asked in disbelief 

"I did but I can't now. It will ruin a lot of things if I were to feel those feelings again." I said

"I didn't know this. Why didn't you tell me sooner?" He said while placing his hands on my cheek. "I couldn't really," I said 

"I want to kiss you right now but I know if I do, it's going to mess things up." He said while getting up and leaving the rooftop. 

Damn it.