5

"When people have too many choices, they make bad choices"- Thom Browne

"Hi, I'm Doctor Evans and you two must be Louis and Harry Styles," the doctor walks in, her heels clicking on the hardwood floor.

"Yes, we are. It's nice to meet you," Harry says, shaking her hand and Louis follows suit. She sits down and crosses her legs, giving the couple a once over.

"Let's start with how long you've been together."

"Twenty years," Louis says softly, playing with his hands in his lap.

"And when did the marriage become an issue? When did you see the relationship friction occur?" she asks scribbling something in her lap.

"After our son Joshua was born, so it's been about a year or so," Louis says.

"And is there a reason this friction came about?"

Louis looks at Harry, his eyes burning into him. Harry coughs into his fist and fixes his eyes on the ground. "I, um, there was a man at work I was seeing."

"Say it, Harry. You fucked him. You fucked him behind my back for a year while I was taking care of your five kids," Louis barks and Harry refuses to make eye contact with him.

"Harry," Dr. Evans says softly. "Do you have anything you'd like to say?"

It's silent. "Of course he doesn't! He's a fucking coward! He just wants me to crawl back to him and forgive him for his wrongs and I won't!" Louis shouts, but Harry still looks down. "Look at me!"

Harry winces and looks up at Louis and everything else seems fuzzy. He sees the look in Louis' eyes, the look he's only seen once before.

**********************************

"Oh, mum, this is Louis. He's my...my good friend," Harry says, swallowing thickly. Louis' eyes flick down to the floor and then back to Anne.

"Nice to meet you," he says quietly, shaking her hand.

"You too, Louis," she smiles kindly. "I'll leave you two alone, I'm sure with midterms coming up you're busy."

"Yeah, thanks, mum. I'll see you soon," Harry says, hugging her tightly. "Love you."

"I love you, too. Call me tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Goodbye, Louis! It was so nice meeting you. I hope we can see each other again," she smiles, reaching for his hand and squeezing it.

"Yeah, that'd be nice," Louis says, smiling back. With one last kiss on the cheek, she leaves the room and when the door closes, Louis looks at Harry. There's so much emotion: betrayal, anger, hurt, and disappointment in one heart-wrenching look.

"What's wrong, babe?"

"What's wrong? Harry, you told me you were going to tell her about us! You said you were tired of lying to your family and once we told my family, we would tell yours. Obviously you're not over your stupid insecurity about this and you're ashamed of us, or me, for that matter," Louis says, crossing his arms. His eyes are so fierce it almost brings Harry to his knees.

"No," his voice cracks a bit. "I'm not ashamed, you know that. I told you I'm not anymore, I'm over it. I know it's okay now, and I love you. You know that already."

"Then why didn't you tell her?" Louis whispers, his eyes glazing over.

"I panicked, Louis, I don't know. I'm just afraid that...I don't know what I'm afraid of, but I'm scared," Harry says, sighing deeply.