Chapter Two: Charles is 130% straight and Eric is 54% failing

Picture this: Charles sits at the back of the class for Chemistry, and he often finds it difficult to focus on his work.

Of course, his lack of concentration has nothing whatsoever to do with a certain six foot guy with a frown who just happens to sit by the window on Charles' left.

It's not like Charles spends his Chemistry lessons staring at the guy next to him and wondering just why he looked so angry all the time.

And it most certainly has nothing to do with his storm cloud grey eyes or the harsh cut of his jaw or the slope of his broad shoulders, because that would be ridiculous.

It's at times like these that Charles feels the need to remind himself that he's completely 130% straight (as far as everyone around him knew).

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Picture this: It's Tuesday and Eric is sat in Chemistry, waiting at his desk to receive his results for last week's exam.

He sits in stony silence, dreading the moment when Mr Reyden would appear in front of him, but of course, just like all other terrible events it has to happen sooner or later, and eventually Eric has to give up on the weak hope that his paper had been blown out of a window before it could be marked.

"46%, Eric, is really scraping the barrel."

His paper lands on his desk with a loud slap, an unmissable 'E' circled in bright red. Eric swallows, hard, and looks away from the confirmation of his doom (a.k.a. a few pieces of paper held together with a couple of staples).

"See me at the end of the day."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Picture this: the students file out of the Chemistry classroom after the bell goes to signal that the lesson is over, but before Charles has a chance to leave, Mr Reyden beckons him over to his desk at the front.

"One of your classmates, Mr Lehnsherr, has been struggling for quite some time in this class and I believe that the best way to get him to improve would be to assign him a mentor."

"And you want me to mentor him?" Charles is already anxious at the thought of having to spend time with someone he doesn't know.

"He'll need one-on-one tutoring outside of school hours and it will require a great deal of input on the mentor's behalf. They would need to be intelligent, resourceful and extremely patient and for that reason I can think of no one better suited to this role than you."

There was a pause before Charles replied. "I'll do it. If I'm capable of helping him, I think I have a duty to him to try."