Chapter Five: Empty seats and empty bottles

Possible trigger for alcohol abuse ( I'm not sure but I'm putting this just to be on the safe side :) )

Picture this: three days later, Charles is sitting in the chemistry class that he usually shares with Eric and wondering why he hadn't shown up for any of his classes since their last study session.

As he stares forlornly at the empty seat beside him, for some reason the little nerd can't help but feel like somehow it's his fault that Eric isn't there.

After the strangely unpredictable guy had come to Charles' (kind of lame) rescue in the library, Eric had spent the entire hour of revision with a closed off look on his face and spoken in short, clipped sentences.

Now Charles knows that Eric is hardly the “sharing is caring" type but it was like he'd just shut down. He wonders whether it was just because of the one dangerously wonderful moment they had shared, when Charles felt Eric's racing heart beating against his back and let his own tune into the same rhythm. But why would Eric be affected by that?

Charles knows, just like everyone else does, that Eric Lehnsherr doesn't care about anything or anyone - so why is Charles starting to care so much about him?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Picture this: Eric is only two short miles away from Charles, but to him it feels like lightyears (guess some of his science revision had sunk in, huh). He's lying on the dirty floor of the room where he sleeps at night, trying everything he can to stop his mind wandering back to a certain cardigan-wearing boy.

By everything, he really means every bottle of liquor he can get his hands on. As he takes a swig of whiskey, he jokes to himself that easily accessible no-questions-asked alcohol was pretty much the only perk of having an alcoholic for a mother. He says mother, but what he really means is someone who swings by once in a while to leave a quick scribbled note and a little money.

Was it last month or the month before that he last saw his mother? Downing another mouthful, Eric shakes his head with a bitter laugh as the room spins around him, because how could he miss what he'd never had to start with?

Sooner or later he knows he has to go back to that school, but he knows that right now he doesn't have the strength to face up to the one thing that truly scares him.

After three days of drink > vomit > sleep > repeat, he barely remembers how it feels to stand up, let alone be sober. As the haze of alcohol swallows more and more of his memories, for the life of him Eric can't figure out why he can't forget the tiny flecks of gold in his eyes, his sweet honey aroma or the constellation of freckles on the back of his neck.

That's right, try as Eric might to fall into oblivion, his image of Charles stays as crystal clear as ever.