2 • No dream

Lydia's pov:

I lean against my bedroom door while my legs become weak. Tears stream down my cheeks and my heart feels empty. The thought of never having a late night conversation with Allison or snuggling into Aiden's arms again terrifies me. This pain makes me feel more vulnerable than ever, and I hate feeling vulnerable.

"Sweetheart? What's going on? Let me in." My mom shouts from the hallway.

"Please just leave me alone, mom." I sniffle.

"Lydia, right now!" She yells.

I sigh and wipe my tears, trying to appear strong. I turn around and open the door, revealing my mascara stained face to my mom.

"Oh Honey, what happened?" She asks, pulling me into a warm hug.

"A-Aiden... he's gone." I sob.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. I know you're still getting over what happened to Allison." Of course she brought that up, which only made me more upset. "It's gonna be okay, I promise." She whispers.

'It's gonna be okay' is one of those things people feel like they have to say when someone you love passes away. But as I'm in this position, I realize that it only makes it worse. I'm not going to be okay. Nothing will ever be the same again.

Stiles' pov:

"Hey it's Scott. Sorry I can't get the phone right now, leave a message and I'll call you later!" The answering machine said, followed by a beep.

"Scott, It's Stiles. Call me back, I just want to make sure you're okay. Bye." I say into the phone before hanging up.

I sigh and fall back onto my bed, staring at my phone. My thumb hovers over Lydia's name and for a few moments, I debate wether I should call her or not. I decide that it's best to give her some space. She made it very clear that she wants some time alone. As I lay there in silence, flashes of a memory from a few days earlier flood my mind.

Flashback

As my eyes fluttered open, I found Lydia clinging onto my arm. It took me a moment to realize she was sobbing.

"Lydia? What's wrong?" I asked groggily, completely unaware of what just happened. I had collapsed earlier while we ran through the tunnels.

"Stiles... She's gone." She whispered.

"What do you mean, Lyds?"

"Allison- she died." She sniffled before bursting into tears again.

I didn't even need to ask. I knew that she had heard the screams in her mind. I wrapped my arms around her tightly as tears streamed down my cheeks. I hated to imagine a world without Allison. She was so strong and independent, and she held our pack together.

"Come on." I said, lifting Lydia bridal style.

I carried her through the tunnels, unaware of where I should go. Lydia didn't stop crying, she just snuggled into my chest.

After a few minutes, I looked to my left and found Scott and Mr. Argent sitting with Allison. It was clear that she had passed away.

"Do you want to see her?" I whispered.

With no hesitation, she nodded. I cautiously approached Allison and placed Lydia back on the ground.

She stood in shock as she caught a glimpse of her best friend.

"Allison..." She whispered in disbelief.

She slowly bent down next to her and grabbed her hand.

Scott looked up at me and I gave him an apologetic gaze.

"Alli, I'm so, so sorry. It should've been me, not you. I don't know what happened, but I know that you fought till the end. You're Allison argent. My best friend. I-I just can't believe that you're gone..." Those words brought all of us to tears.

Lydia's pov:

Once my mom went downstairs to make me some chamomile tea, I found myself reading the scrapbook Allison and I made together a couple months ago. I remember sitting on the floor in her room on a rainy Sunday afternoon, going through photos of us that she had printed out. One of us watching a lacrosse game, one from our trip to the skating rink with Scott and Stiles, a few silly ones and a few group ones with the pack. We spent hours reliving memories, dancing around to our favourite songs and laughing until we could barely breathe. That was our friendship, as long as we were together, it was a great time.

The scrapbook said "best friends forever" in bubble letters cut out of purple paisley print card stock with our favourite photo together stuck on the front. I smile a little as I remember Allison saying recommend this book, so we would be able to look back on it one day. I never thought the day would come so soon, though.

I don't think that Aiden or Allison's deaths have really set in for me yet. This just feels like some sort of messed up dream that I'll wake up from any minute and I'll text them to tell them how happy I am that they're here. You know, one of those dreams that make you realize how grateful you are. Unfortunately, this is no dream. This is my life now.