10 • Heart monitor

Stiles' pov:

Scott had arrived not long after me, sitting down and making sure I was okay.

"Well of course I'm not okay. They won't tell me how she is. What if she's dying, Scott? What if she dies without knowing exactly how I feel?" I cry.

"Stiles, we both know how strong she is. She's gonna get through this." He promised.

We spent hours sitting in silence, getting up to get snacks from the vending machine or free coffee.

"Where's your mom?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm not sure. She might be in Lydia's surgery, I don't know." Scott replied.

"I really hope she is. I trust her to save Lydia."

~

After hours and hours of waiting and only a few minutes of sleeping, Melissa appeared in the waiting room and I stood up in hope.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"For now, yes. Car accidents are always iffy. You never know what can happen. I was in surgery with her and they were making sure the bleeding didn't make it's way into her brain. Luckily, it didn't. She's still pretty beaten up though. Lots of broken bones, having trouble breathing and her heart rate is going up and down. We're trying to level it though. The car hit her hard, it's a miracle she survived." She told us.

"Can I see her?" I asked.

"One at a time, but yes. We're going to run some more tests later, so I would see her now."

"You can go first." I told Scott.

He nodded and followed his mom to her room. Melissa's words ring through my head 'for now, yes'. I'm happy that she's okay now, but there's still a chance of losing her which terrifies me.

~

About 15 minutes later, Scott comes back with Melissa and she guides me to Lydia's room. We stand in the elevator and she looks at me and asks "you really love her, don't you?"

I nod and wipe a tear from my cheek.

"Aw, sweetie. I'm gonna do everything I can to keep her alive, okay?" She says, pulling me into a hug.

"Yeah. Thanks, mom." I smile.

After my mom passed away, Melissa was the only mother figure I had. Eventually, I just started calling her mom because she treated me like her son.

We left the elevator on floor 3 and stopped in front of the 5th room on the left.

"Here we are. Room 309. I'll be out here if you need anything." She smiled.

I twisted the door handle and entered the room, every move feeling like a big deal. When I spotted Lydia lying on the bed, bruised and bloody, hooked up to oxygen, I couldn't help but gasp. Her usually radiant hair looked dull and her skin was pale. Her eyes were closed and I sat in the chair next to her, grabbing her freezing hand. I took a deep breath and just talked as if she could hear me because I had hope that she could.

"Lydia, it's Stiles. I know I messed up, I shouldn't have kissed you the other day. It was wrong and I'm sorry, but I am in love with you and I can't hide that anymore. Every time I see you, my heart skips a beat. It has since the third grade. I need you to wake up because I honestly can't imagine living without you. Lydia, I love you and I believe you're my soulmate. Just please, wake up. For me." I cried. I sat there in silence for a few moments, just holding her hands until her heart rate began dropping and the heart monitor beeped fast and faster. "Melissa!" I shrieked. She came rushing in along with other doctors and nurses. They pushed me back and a nurse escorted me from the room as I sobbed.

"No! Lydia! Please!" I screamed, trying to get back to her.

The nurse slammed the door in my face and I continued crying, gripping onto the wall to stop myself from falling to the ground.

~

Lydia's pov:

Suddenly, in the darkness of what felt like death, I heard a faint beeping, almost like a heart monitor. The beeping sped up and I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I wasn't dead yet, I could feel things. I heard a familiar voice whisper "come on, Lydia. I need you. Please, pull through this." The voice only belonged to Stiles. I tried to call his name, but I couldn't make a sound. And suddenly, the sound went away and so did the feeling. Before I knew it, I was no longer in the dark. I was standing in Allison's living room. But why? "Alli?" I asked as she appeared in the doorway with Aiden trailing behind her. I began to panic, telling myself this was just a bad dream and I would wake up any moment to call Stiles. I pinched myself but it was no use. "Lydia, I know this is weird and you're going to freak when you hear this but just listen to me. Listen to me voice." She said, grabbing my hands. "It's Allison. Aiden's here too. You're dead right now. Your heart rate is gone. You have to be strong right now so you can go back." She explained. My jaw dropped and I jumped into Aiden's arms. "What if I don't want to go back? I want to stay here." I said. "Lydia, you and I both know you have to go back. For Stiles." The smile on Aiden's face faded at the sound of his name and I knew Allison was right. "So how do I go back?" I asked. "I'm sure Melissa is going to do something to bring you back. You just have to believe that you're still alive and that you can go back. In times like this, there's still a chance." She said. "Okay. Can I hug you first?" I requested. "Of course." She responded. I wrapped my arms around her and whispered "I love you so much, Alli." "I love you too, Lyds." She whispered back. I walked over to Aiden and said "I'm sorry." "Don't be sorry. I'm happy that you're moving on. Stiles is really great." He smiled. "I love you, Lydia." He whispered as he pushed my hair behind my ear. "I love you too." And suddenly, there was a shocking feeling in my chest and I knew this was where I had to believe. 'I'm still alive' 'I know I can do this. For my friends.' I thought to myself. And then, the world went dark again.

~

Melissa's pov:

"Come on! We're losing her!" I yelled, continuing compressions.

I hadn't even noticed that her heart rate reached zero until a doctor said "Melissa, she's gone."

"No she's not! This girl is tough and I promised my son I'd keep her alive. Charge to 300!" I yelled at a nurse.

"Clear!" She yelled before shocking her.

Then, Lydia's heart rate slowly went back. I sighed in relief and asked our best cardio Doctor if there was something wrong with her heart.

"The only way to know is to open her in surgery. I'll schedule it for this afternoon." He said.

I made my way into the hallway and found Stiles crying hysterically on a chair.

"Hey, Stiles! Look at me." I said, kneeling next to him and moving his head to look at me.

"She's okay. We lost her for a minute, but she's better now." I smiled.

He grinned like a kid on Christmas and flung his arms around me.

~

Lydia's pov:

After about a minute of nothing, the feeling came back. I could hear certain things again and I swore I was alive. It was time to tell Stiles... I had to tell him how I feel.

Author's note:

Well that was a little crazy. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for reading.