4 • A scary night

Stiles' pov:

It had been a week since I dropped homework off to Lydia, and I made an effort to see her almost everyday since. Although I tried to talk about anything other than friends and death to avoid that distraught look in her eyes, she always ended up bursting into tears. She couldn't help it. I tried to make her happy, but I don't think anyone could do that right now, and it broke my heart to see her that way. I knew how sad she was, I hadn't seen her laugh in weeks. Sometimes she would even talk about going to be with Allison and Aiden no matter what it took. This terrified me because I had once told the strawberry blonde "if you die, I will literally go out of my freaking mind".

~

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing loudly in my ear. I groan as I sit up, looking around my dark room and rubbing my sleepy eyes. I was annoyed and contemplating going back to sleep, until I realized that the ringtone specially belonged to Lydia. Suddenly, the room went silent. After about a minute, my phone buzzed indicating that I had a voicemail.

"Missed call from: Lyds"

"One (1) new voicemail"

I unlocked my phone, the light burning my eyes. The time read "1:32 am". I opened my voicemail and listened to Lydia sniffle out a few words between sobs.

"S-stiles. I'm sorry, I just wanted to say goodbye. I need to be with Alli and Aiden. I've tried to be strong for you, Stiles, I really have, but I can't do it anymore. Please don't let this affect you too much, move on. You deserve someone so much better than me. I'm sorry, Stiles. Stiles Stilinski, I-" and then the message cuts out.

My heart begins racing, and horror films my body. I couldn't even worry about what Lydia was going to say at the end. I quickly stuffed my phone into the pocket of my flannel pyjama bottoms before rushing downstairs, not even bothering to change. I sprinted through the hallway and out the door without glancing at my shoes. Lydia couldn't do this, I had to stop her. I jumped into my jeep and flew down the street, probably going twice the speed limit, but there was no one on the road. The only person I could worry about was Lydia. I thought about calling her, but I couldn't waste one second.

~

"Lydia!!!" I screamed as I stood outside her window, looking up with big eyes. Please be okay. Please. "Lydia! It's Stiles! Come out, please!"

No answer.

I rang the doorbell frantically and pulled out my phone.

"Don't do anything!" I typed to Lydia.

After a couple of minutes, a tired looking Ms. Martin answered the door with tangled hair and a fuzzy robe secured by her left hand over her chest.

"Stiles? What are you doing here?" She asked.

"I'm sorry." I said, pushing past her and up to Lydia's room.

"Stiles!" Ms. Martin called after me.

I ignored her and swung Lydia's door open. I found her sobbing on the ground, holding some pills in her hand, staring at them helplessly.

She didn't even have to look back at me. "Stiles, just go, please!" She cried.

"Lydia... Put those down." I said, tears filling my eyes, clouding my vision.

"Why should I?" She asked.

"Because I would have to go with you. You're not going without me. I know this seems awful right now, but I'm going to do everything in my power to make this better, okay? So please, drop the pills, Lydia." I whispered and suddenly, I was crying hysterically. "A life without you would be so freaking terrible. I don't want to imagine a world without your beautiful green eyes and your strawberry blonde curls. Or a world without our banter, which only belongs to us, or your smile. Gosh, that smile. I simply do not want to think of a world without Lydia Martin. So please. Stay." I continued pleading.

Lydia hesitantly dumped the handful of pills back into their prescription bottle and popped the cap on.

I sigh in relief and tears continue to trickle down my face.

"Lyds..." I whisper, my regular voice still too shaky.

It was silent for a moment, and I wasn't sure what to do. I couldn't just leave after what happened, I needed to make sure she got to sleep safely. I needed to make sure she didn't end up crying, or even worse, taking the pills.

Without thinking, I sat right next to her on the hardwood floor, legs crossed. I was shocked to feel her arms wrap around me, and have her head nestled into my chest. I hugged her tight, wishing I never had to let go, because in this moment, I had no worries, no fear. We were just... us. Then, she started crying.

"Hey, hey, you're okay now." I rocked her back and fourth, planting a long, gentle kiss on top of her head.

"Thank you, Stiles. You saved my life." She finally sniffled.

We sat there for awhile, arms and legs intertwined, bodies close, before Lydia asks "Stiles? Will you stay with me?"

"Of course I will. Always. Whatever you want." I take the bottle of pills into my trembling hands as I release her. I make my way over to the door, and look back before entering the hallway. "I'm gonna get some extra blankets, I'll be right back."

"You don't need them, my bed is more comfortable."

I felt a bit awkward, but nodded. Suddenly, we were interrupted by Natalie hesitantly creeping up the stairs.

"What's going on?" She asked quietly, maybe too scared to know the answer.

No words were needed. I simply passed her the pills, and she got the message.

She gasped in shock, trying her hardest not to cry. She rushed over to Lydia, and did the same as me, hugged her tight. "He saved me, mom. I wouldn't be here without Stiles." Lydia said, making eye contact with me. I blushed a little as she asked "Can he stay tonight? I need him right now."

She didn't agree at first, but then realized that Lydia needed all the support she could get right now. "I suppose so. You know the rules. Stiles, I'll call your father and let him know."

Before leaving the room, she grabbed my hand. "Thank you so much. I could never repay you for what you've done here tonight."

And then, she scurried away.

Lydia slowly made her way under the blanket of her bed, and I joined her, leaving a respectable amount of space between us.

"Stiles, you don't have to be weird about this." She said. "We're best friends."

I let my body relax, and she wraps her arms around my bicep, shocking me a little.

"Is this okay?" She asked.

"Yeah. Goodnight, Lydia."

"Goodnight, Stiles. Thank you again."

I fall asleep that night listening to the muffled cries of Natalie Martin.

•••

Author's note:

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter with a little stydia! Sorry for that little scare. Stiles saves the day! Haha. As always, thank you for reading and comment any suggestions!