Chapter 6 - A Devilish Encounter

Although I have often fancied myself as an adventurer, a man-about-town, it is an unfortunate fact that I have for some time been a creature of habit. Indeed, I will often indulge in practices that some may frown on, but my efforts to do so unobserved often fall foul of the fact that I tend to carry out my activities in much the same place, time after time.

Thus it was that, although I had resolved to spend the evening alone in quiet and drug-induced relaxation in a darkened corner of a nondescript tavern, my friend Molly had no trouble in tracking me down.

"'Ello Gus," she said, throwing herself on the bench opposite me in a distinctly unlady-like fashion.

I blinked, forcing my focus away from my musings and back into the smoke-filled tavern. I noticed that my hand was still gripping a tankard of ale and took a large swig, grimacing at the sour taste.

Molly waved her hand at the bar and a tankard appeared in front of her. She looked at me with raised eyebrows, clearly expecting me to pay. I offered her my best glowering expression, one which came naturally to my alcohol and laudanum induced state.

"You'll be lucky, Molly," said the serving girl. "He's been drowning his sorrows in the same beer for the past few hours, and that one we had to give him for half price, just to stop him moaning at us."

It was true. That day -- and that beer -- marked the very end of my inheritance. It was an inheritance which had been immense fun in the spending, having taken me to places most people would hardly dream of, yet alone visit. Money, however, is a fickle mistress and I had not mastered the art that so many had of turning it into yet more money. My special talent was spending it as quickly and as extravagantly as possible. As a result I was no longer a man of means slumming it amongst the denizens of the East End. I was now just another East End pauper.

I knew that I had to earn a living, and writing was my choice of career. However, at the very time I needed it most my muse appeared to have deserted me, leaving a hole which that morning I had resolved to fill with as many substances I could find. It was a method which had served many of my much more esteemed predecessors very well, although so far it had served only to provide me with a slightly spinning head and a frightful hunger.

Molly pulled a face and then removed a purse from her bosom. I blinked, transfixed, as she removed two coins and handed them to the serving girl. "Give him a fresh one," she said.

I eyed the tankard which appeared in me. "I am not used to being bought drinks by prostitutes," I said.

"Why, what do we normally buy you?" she asked and then threw her head back and cackled. "Oh come on Gus. Cheer up!" Her laugh revealed a mouth which was only half-full of teeth, something which would have repelled me in times gone by. Having spent so much time around the area I was accustomed to the many symptoms of their lifestyle and lack of resources. Symptoms which I would no doubt be displaying myself soon enough.

I managed a half-smile for her benefit. "If you're looking for trade, you're wasting your time, even more so than usual," I said. "The barmaid was right -- I have no money."

"Ah, but Gus," she said, leaning forward and treating me to her particular aroma of tobacco, gin and beer. "But it's your body I want, not your money."

I frowned, not quite sure exactly where this exchange was going. I glanced around to see if there was anyone else watching, whether I was the victim of a joke for the crowd.

She laughed again. "Don't look so worried! I just need a little favour, that's all."

"What kind of favour?" I asked.

She looked around and then came round to sit next to me. I shuffled along the bench to make room for her but she moved along with me so that our shoulders were touching, as though we were co-conspirators in some political plot.