Chapter 31 - A Flight to the Unknown

We rode pell-mell along darkened roads, our jittery clattering vehicle threatening to tip over at any point. The jolting was such as to throw me out of my seat and onto the floor of the carriage. I tried to scramble my way back up onto the seat but the combination of my weakened limbs and our constant motion defeated me. I waved away Kate's offer of assistance and resigned myself to bouncing around on the hard floor.

Eventually, mercifully, we pulled to a halt and Kate and I stumbled out into the night air. Maxwell clambered down from the cab, a less likely-looking driver you would struggle to find. We looked back along the way we came. "I think we have outrun them," said Maxwell.

"Great," I said. "What now?"

"We must find a way to stop Andras. That can mean only one thing."

"We need to find N'yotsu," said Kate.

"But how?" I asked. "The Aetheric Sensor just led us straight to Andras."

"Remember, they are effectively the same person," said Maxwell. "We now know where Andras is, so any other readings must emanate from N'yotsu. And I did pick up another, weaker reading. Pointing north."

"Presumably if it is weak that would suggest he is a long way away?"

"That is correct. So we should get moving; I suspect we have a lot of miles to cover."

I looked at the horses. "They look tired already. We may need to get some replacements."

"I don't know this neck of the woods," said Kate. "There any stabling inns near here?"

"Not sure," I said. "But I may have a better idea."

* * *

Dawn was starting to break as we pulled up to probably the most ramshackle farm that had ever existed. Outbuildings and barns crowded around what was still standing of the farmhouse, like poor children clustered round a dying mother. There was a general air of neglect and decay about the place, as though we were the first visitors in years.

"Are you sure this is the place?" asked Maxwell as I clambered out of the carriage.

"Positive," I replied.

"Don't look very lived in," said Kate, looking round.

"Au contraire," I said. "I believe it is actually lived in rather well." I raised my voice. "Freddie!"

My voice echoed around the yard, stirring up little more than a few stray cats, their heads popping up to investigate this rude disturbance before prancing away into the overgrown vegetation.

"Freddie!"

This time there was movement from within the farmhouse, a stirring at one of the windows. A hand pulled aside the rough blanket which was acting as a curtain, followed by the barrel of a rifle and a squinting, scowling face. "Who is it?" came the voice from within.

"Now do not hurt my feelings, Freddie," I said. "Surely it has not been that long?"

There was a pause. Then: "Gus? Is that you, you rapscallion?" He laughed. "Come in, come in; the door's unlocked. I'll be down in a minute."

The door was held together with little more than ropes and Maxwell gingerly handled it for fear of it falling apart altogether. If either of my companions were expecting the building's interior to contrast with the exterior then they were sorely disappointed. Our entry precipitated the violent stirring of the various animals which had sought refuge within; hens, cows and pigs staring back at us in surprise. The stench of animal food and waste was unbearable. "Let us wait outside," I coughed. Neither of the others disagreed.