Unspoken Rules

Hotly I say, "I'm one of six. You may not believe in the Kan Shifter" (that's the formal name- as in 'can shift') "but you came prepared."

I look behind him. "Three vampires and three werewolves. It's a shame...." I trail off sighing.

Holding my breath, I will him to take the bait.

Predictably he does. "What's a shame?" he wonders, guard up.

Rules to not guarantee your losing- Rule 1: Never let your guard down.

"That," I raise my voice. "My GIRLS and I... out, let's say ...power you."

A hot- head 'wolf literally barks out a laugh. His body hits the ground, so that he can laugh better. He finally chokes out: "We're worried... about... a pack... of vampire poser girls?" He stands up only to suddenly be on the ground again, this time with a snarling brown wolf on him, in that instant.

"Makenzie!" I shout.

She continues to stand above a struggling Hot- Head, growling.

Yells of "Call her off!" fill the air.

"Makenzie!" I repeat. "GET OVER HERE NOW!!"

She winces at the amount of disproval in my voice, and obediently hauls tail to get behind me, where my eyes cannot be on her.

Rule 2: Never take your eyes off enemies/ potential enemies.

As they regroup, Makenzie says in my ear, "Sorry, I-"

"I don't care. I suggest you stop digging yourself a fresh grave, because right now you have one to your name. Wanna make it six feet deep?" I tell her under my breath, knowing that everyone in or around the clearing could hear me.

I hear her whimper, and almost apologize.
Almost. Perfect.

I can clearly see at least one, if not two people (vampires) listening and looking for weakness.

Rule 3: Always, always listen and observe all said and unsaid.

"Makenzie Macintosh." The female wolf says voice lined with board-interest, flat.

"It's Makenzie Shade now!" Her light voice retorts.

Their faces show astonishment.

Rule 4: Keep your opponent on their toes.

Another male, vampire, accuses, "So you left your own kind, and the ones that... Err.... Are your kinds' alleys? For a shape- shifter?" Irony is the realization of what I am finally dawns on them.

Rule 5: Observe and learn the facts ASAP.

The next thing I know, I have a mouth full of black hair.

(Another 2 for 1, as is short)