Chapter 1 - Moving On

"I wish  you could just be normal, Caitir. "

The words of my parents echoed in my head over and over again. I hated when they said things like that. It's not just me. My three other sisters have powers too, I just seem to be the one who fucks up all the time. 

Strange things run in my family tree, I never excepted it. I always wondered, things like this just can't happen.

Think about it, four sisters each with an elemental power. It's just not right.

I, Caitir, have the power of fire. When I was younger, I used to think that's why I messed up all the time. 

"My powers the most dangerous, its not my fault!" This was my excuse for everything.

I was fourteen. I was pretty tall and had dark brown eyes and curly red hair which clearly went great with my power. 

Then there was Isla, also fourteen. Growing up, she would get so angry when people pronounced her name wrong. I always told her "You think anyone gets my name right? No," but she wouldn't settle and still hasn't. 

"It's pronounced EYE-LUH!" 

She was average height for her age, and had shoulder-length, dirty blond hair which was usually straight. Her ocean blue eyes went great with her element too, water, which was ironic because she had a horrible fear of oceans and deep bodies of water. Never understood it.

Then there was Kyla. Only a year younger, but was very strong and just as powerful. She used her wind power to her advantage any time she could, completely ignoring everything our parents have ever taught us. 

She would create funnel clouds if she didn't want to go out for recess, shift the clouds away from the sun to get a good tan and made small tornado like clouds that hovered off the ground, but moved fast, and got us to school when we were late. 

She didn't listen to mom and dad for anything. She believed that they didn't deserve her respect if they didn't respect her powers.

She was proud, independent, and wanted to leave as soon as possible.

She was around the same height as Isla, had shoulder- length chocolate brown hair with brown eyes. 

Lastly, the youngest, Lavena (meaning joy) who was only eight years old. She had the kindest heart, and would use her earth element to grow gardens for the school without them knowing. she would bloom a path of flowers everywhere she went and never used her powers for bad, because she didn't know how to, and had no intention of learning.

She had long blond hair with green eyes and was always wearing sundresses.

Mom  and dad were easier on her, but still never waned to see the use of powers anywhere.

This was why we hated our lives.

This was why we wanted to leave. 

-----

We all sat in a circle in our hidden room. We had created it when we were younger. We all had to use our powers to open the door in the cellar. Mom and dad didn't know about it. It was where we went to practice our powers and learn.

"Guys, think about it. Look around. We're in a secret room that we had to make to learn ourselves because mom and dad want nothing to do with the elements. They haven't excepted us, they won't except us and I'm not waiting around here to see if they will because they won't," Kyla stated firmly.

"Why wait when we can go?" She asked, an inspired look on her face.

"What are you trying to say?" I asked while I braided Lavena's hair.

"Let's leave. We spent all that time researching the coven in Salem. We're not witches but we would be welcome there, and we'd be able to actually use the powers we have."

"I'm in," Isla said as she grabbed her  purple backpack from behind her and started emptying out all of her school supplies.

"Wait a second, I thought you were against this?" I asked her surprised. 

"You know what mom said to me today?" She sighed. "She told me I was a mistake..."

"Mom and dad have all said things like that to us but-" I cut in.

"Let me finish. She told me she never meant to have such an evil family like ours. She said she wasn't disappointed in me, but in herself...for creating us. I want to go somewhere where they'll want me to practice not punish me for using my powers accidentally or something." She said putting elemental books and other things her bag.

I sat in silence. Maybe Kyla and Isla were right, but what about Lavena?

"Hell yeah! We don't need those ass-" Kyla started.

"AY! LAVENA IS RIGHT HERE?!"

"Ugh well 'scuse me"

"Ugh I just wish you guys would stop being so dramatic.

"WE'RE BEING DRAMATIC?" A massive fight eventually broke out between Isla, Kya and I.

"JUST STOP IT!"  Lavena yelled. We all grew quiet and looked at her.

"Any place where I can make gardens and not get grounded is a place I wanna be...I wanna go too." She said.

"Alright. If Lavena wants to go...I guess...I'm in too." I said finishing off Lavena's braid.

"Perfect. We pack, then leave ASAP." Isla said zipping up her bag.