5.

We awoke the next morning to the rushing of feet and a doctor with large amount of papers. He had a strong expression on his face yet I couldn't quite read it.

The others were woken up by the noises also and were now alert, ready to hear whatever this doctor had to say.

"Alright, I have our test results here somewhere." He explained as he picked through the stack of documentations he held.

I peer over at the occupied hospital bed. Raeden was still lying down. She didn't look well to me but how would I know?

I look back in the direction of the doctor, awaiting him to speak. Setting the rest of the papers on his desk, he singled out one specific one and scanned over the contents before announcing, "Unfortunately, Raeden has lost ounces of her blood but we were able to recover her enough overnight so that she'll be able to make a full recovery soon."

The following noise from the rest of us made it obvious that we had all been holding our breath until hearing the words we'd longed to hear.

After our mini celebratory hugs and pats on the back, we were politely told to exit the building to let the patient rest awhile. Without hesitation or question, we all left together in a small group.

Our car had been left over at the gas station so Jake kind of pitched the idea to dad that we should walk a couple blocks to Dairy Queen. He reluctantly agreed and me and Jake jogged at least a block up from the rest.

It was sorta embarrassing in our opinion to be walking with such older people.

Dairy Queen was soon seen In the distance. The lot was fairly empty.

"Race you." I challenged him. He laughed a little then stopped walking.

We aligned ourselves behind one of the straight cracks in the sidewalk in our running positions.

"Ready? Boo!" I yelled. He took off but only a couple steps before he realized I hadn't said to go. "Idiot." I laugh.

"Shut up. Let me do it."

"Fine, salty ass."

I see him roll his eyes out of the corner of mine but I keep my focus fixated on the building parking lot.

"Ready..." He started, "Go!"

He took off milliseconds too early but I ignored his default and sprinted beside him. Looking over at me, he sheepishly smiles and tries to trip me. I laugh trying not to fall or laugh too hard so that I slow down.

I reach over and pinch him as we head into the street ahead. He lets out a yelp and slows. The finish line - being the building, was just across and I was just steps in front of him.

Recovering quickly, he picked up his pace again before catching up. We make it across just as he gains on me and we instantly enter the lot. It was a clear tie but he was hell-bent on the fact that he beat me.

"In your dreams." I pant.

"I ain't gotta dream to know your a loser." He says in between large breaths.

I laugh a little and we start walking into the entrance holding our sides.

"What are you gonna get?" I ask just as the air conditioning hits my face.

"I don't know yet but I gotta sit down." He was still out of breath which amused me.

"Fine." We find a seat at the back by a window. Looking out, all you can see is the highway on the other side and a strip mall across it.

We sit across from each other in the small booth, it's easier to talk that way. Waiting impatiently for the rest to make it, we continue our argument. This time, just to get on his nerves, I claimed I had won instead of it being a tie.

***

I ordered the newest ice cream I could find on the menu. It being new, it was of course bigger than everything else as well.

It was called a Double-Chocolate Baked Brownie Sundae. When it was ready and placed in front of me, I was surprised at the size. It had been much bigger than it looked on the menu.

"Fat ass." Jake muttered, careful of the adults hearing him swear from the bigger booth behind us.

I laugh hysterically but quietly. My eyes swell with tears as I try to hold in my laughter. Jake's trying just as hard.

Gaining our composure, we start to eat. He had only order a burger and fries so I'd have to be creative in getting back at him.

As he lifted his ketchup covered French fry to his mouth, I reached across the table and pushed his hand towards his face. This made him smear the ketchup from his chin up to his nose where it then proceeded to go inside his right nostril.

I absolutely die laughing and I clutch my stomach and I strain to hold it back. He laughs too but the fry and ketchup shoot out of his nose.

Still laughing, he covers his face and runs to the restroom where I follow just to tease him some more.