Chapter 4 - He's not just any tour guide

I woke up the next morning feeling depressed. I mean who wouldn't. Seven years ago, their best friend died and now you just found out from your best friend's brother. At age ten, he was just learning the ways of life.. He never got to experience it. Tears were wanting to splash out of my eyes but I held them back.

"Come on, Hun! Wake up!" my mom yelled from downstairs.

"I'm up!" I shouted back tying my hair in a high pony tail, my everyday routine.

**

"How's the first day of school? I didn't see you last night," she frowned when I got downstairs.

"It was okay, I guess. I met three new people and sorry I was at Dill's house," I said before biting into my pancake.

"Dill?" she raised both eyebrows.

"Yeah, Dylan Ford. I saw his painting at his dad's art studio and I thought Dad would like it for a gift. Of course, I didn't know it was his until he came out," I explained. Mom just nodded and smiled.

"So did you guys have fun?" she asked. 

"Yeah, until I found out something that I should have known ten years ago," I sighed, but then something hit me. "Mom, I want you to be honest," I sighed.

"What is it?" she asked.

I bit my lips for a second. "Did you know that he died?" I asked.

"Who exactly is 'he'?" she asked pretending.

" 'He' is my best friend. FM," I frowned.

"You forgot the poor boy's name?" she asked. Okay, yes, I did! But that doesn't mean anything right? I still remember every time we had fun. I only called him FM, because he called me Audio. That was the only nickname. All these years, I've been trying to figure out how'd I came up with FM. I didn't want to ask Dill, because I knew he would just get all tense and avoid me, because back in the days, he was hurting more than I was. So we never really talked about FM. I was just a little girl thinking that one day I'll reunite with him again, but now I'm lost.

"FM, his name is FM. And you're avoiding my question, Mom."

She took a deep breath and answered, "I knew, but we didn't want to tell you because we knew you would hurt even more. We can hear you every night crying, because you lost him," she explained.

"Mom, did you realized that every single one of those nights I had a feeling that he might actually come back?" I gritted my teeth.

"And we didn't want to crush you by saying he will never come back!" she frowned.

"You could have just told me so I didn't have to think about him anymore," I scowled and walked out of the house, heading off to school.

 *

"Hey," Madison waved when I reached my locker.

"Hi," I smiled while unlocking my lock. I heard Madison sighed. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Huh?" she turned away from her gaze. "Oh, nothing," she smiled. I turned to my right and saw Matt hand-in-hand with some girl who looked exactly like Madison, except the glasses and tangled hair.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"That's no one," she frowned and turned away from them.

"Matt's girlfriend? He can actually settle on one?" I chuckled turning back to my locker.

"What's funny, Armstrong?" someone asked me. I looked up and met a pair of sparkling blue eyes.

"Oh, you wan to know?" I asked raising my eyebrow. The girl next to him was obviously scowling at me.