Chapter Two

"Drive," a voice growled next to her.

She glanced over at the man who had jumped into her car but it was the sleek, black semi-automatic handgun that caught her attention. That's what was being pressed against her temple. A gun.

"Drive!" he barked at her, and out of pure instinct she put her foot on the gas and drove.

She could barely process what was happening and she drove without seeing where she was going or paying attention to traffic laws. All she could think about was that a man had jumped into her brother's car and he had a gun pointed at her head.

"If you want the car I'll pull over and get out. I haven't seen you yet," she said as she drove, her eyes on the road. "You can have the car."

"I need a car, but I also need a hostage." He dropped the gun and held it in his lap. "And you have seen me." he added, his voice suddenly sounding very tired.

"I'm your hostage! You're kidnapping me?" she burst out before she could stop herself. "Hijacking me wasn't enough you have to add kidnapping to the list?" She fought the urge to turn and look at him. She still hadn't seen his face or anything distinguishing about him. She didn't want to see him and she prayed he would realize that he didn't need or want her. As long as she didn't look at him he might let her go.

"No questions, keep driving."

She did as he demanded and stayed on the road. Now that some of her wits and faculties had returned she noticed that they were heading north. If they kept going in this direction they would head straight out of town. She wondered if that was what he wanted her to do and was about to ask when she remembered his no questions rule and kept quiet. He hadn't told her to change course yet.

When he didn't say anything for almost five minutes her curiosity got the better of her and she glanced over at him. She didn't stare or even really look that closely, but she looked at him. When he didn't react to her looking at him she stopped being so covert.

She sneaked a few more glances at him as he stared out of the windshield, contemplating something. The gun was still on his lap, but at least his finger wasn't on the trigger.

He was younger than she'd assumed, late twenties if she had to guess, and nice looking. He was handsome yes, but he also looked like a nice guy. He looked like an everyman, and despite the fact that he'd just kidnapped her and he still held a gun in his hand, he just had this nice guy aura around him.

He was wearing jeans, a white shirt layered with a black button up shirt and a worn and comfortable looking black coat. His hair was dark brown and worn long and a little shaggy, but it didn't look messy or unkempt. She thought that his eyes were blue, but she couldn't be sure since he wasn't looking at her. He was very handsome, there was no questioning that, but she noticed the dark circles under his eyes, the pallor of his skin and the tight and drawn expression on his face.

He didn't look like some hardened criminal. He looked like a normal guy.

When she thought of a criminal she always thought of the typical generic police sketch, but this guy didn't look like that at all. He looked like someone she'd see at a coffee shop, not a criminal.

"Where am I driving too?" she asked, finally breaking the nearly deafening silence. They were coming to the county line and she couldn't just sit there quietly anymore, not even with his no questions rule.

"What?" he asked as he looked over at her, almost as though he'd forgotten that she was there.

Now that she could see his eyes she was startled to see that they were the most incredibly bright shade of indigo blue. She'd never seen eyes that color before, and for a moment she got lost in them.