Chapter Thirteen

Tom awoke in a darkened room. He came to slowly. First he could hear a slight buzzing sound in his ears. Then he felt the hard mattress under him. When he finally managed to open his eyes it took a second for them focus.

His head was pounding, his shoulder ached and he felt as though his body was made of cement. He noticed that he was shirtless and it was then that he felt the cold. He had no idea where he was or what had happened, or where Emily was.

"Emily?" he called out hoarsely and fumbled for the light on the table next to him. His hand didn't really feel as though it was a part of his body at that moment. He managed to snap it on and the room was flooded with the soft yellowish light. "Emily?" He looked around the room for her.

"Emily?" called out again as he struggled to sit up.

How the hell had he gotten into what he assumed was a motel room, and where was Emily? The last thing he remembered was getting in her car, then a fist smashing into his temple before blacking out.

He was about to start panicking when he saw the note next to him and fell back down against the bed in relief. He picked it up and read the neat writing.

Gone to get some things. Stay here, hope you're well. Back soon. Emily.

It was short and to the point and it made him smile. He let his arm fall back onto the bed and closed his eyes. At least he knew that she was safe and she was okay. He just waited for her to come back as he tried to figure out where and how badly he was hurt.

***

Emily unlocked the door and struggled to get the key out of the lock as she shifted the bags in her hand. She cursed softly when the key finally came free from the lock and he smiled as she came into the room. 

"You're awake, thank god." She locked the door behind her and dumped her bags on the corner of the bed.

"Shopping spree?" he joked, but even his joke couldn't cover up how glad he was to see her.

"I thought we could use a few things." She smiled and pulled open one of the bags. "They have one of those big box everything stores just in town," she explained as she started to pull out the items.

"Shampoo and conditioner, I didn't trust the stuff they have here so I figured it would be best to get stuff that I recognized and knew wouldn't make my hair fall out," she said as she tossed the containers back in the bag.

"Wise call." He nodded his approval as he sat up on his elbows to see her better.

"Soap for the same reason. I also got some lotion, hypoallergenic just in case, and toothbrushes. I hope you don't mind cinnamon toothpaste because I hate anything mint flavored."

"Not a problem."

"And deodorant, I picked one for you that I liked so I'm sorry if you don't." She dropped the bag back on the bed and opened up the next one, pulling out a pile of clothes. "I know, they're not my style either but it's all they had. I guessed on your size," she added as she showed him a pair of grey sweat pants, a white t shirt and a black sweater. She pulled out a pair of baby blue sweat pants that he assumed were for her along with a white tank top and a black sweater. She also tossed down a few pairs of socks.

"Thanks." He was really looking forward to getting out of the clothes he was wearing. He couldn't remember exactly how long he'd been wearing them, but it had to be going on at least three days now. "And what am I smelling, because it's heavenly."

She pointed to the bags she'd set on the floor next to the bed. "Dinner." She grinned and then pulled open the last bag. "Since I figured that a hospital is out of the question I have the first aid kit from that nice old lady in Adelaide, with a few fillers that I picked up here in town. Also some painkillers and extra towels from the motel guy." She grinned and sat down next to him on the hard yet surprisingly bouncy bed. "I think i got everything we need."