Chapter 1

The beast tensed, his senses suddenly aware. He twitched his tail to find he was not only lying on something soft but was also exposed to fresh air. He opened his mouth slightly to let out the lingering taste of darkness, and took the time to drink in the scents of his surroundings. He distinguished the three closest ones. Two of the three scents were near the same, of a horse. The scent was comforting, reminding the wolf of home. 

 The third scent was one he had smelled only once, with a less sensitive nose. A vision of the sky, and tall pillars covered in vines. Rain, and a massive shadow flying above. The scent was dragon. The beast let out a low growl, and heard a voice. 

 "Spike, you woke it up!"

 "I didn't mean to!" cried another voice.

 "Now, now, hush!" soothed a gentle voice. "Let me speak to it."

 "But Fluttershy!" gasped the first voice.

 "Let me speak to it." replied Fluttershy.

 Footsteps grew closer to the wolf. He growled; the footsteps stopped.

 "Um, hello, Mr. Creature. I'm Fluttershy and, um, who are you? Are you ok?" the gentle voice asked.

 The beast simply snarled, but still opened one eye a slit. The horse – or rather, pegasus – in front of him was a light yellow, with a long pink mane and tail. Her cyan eyes were full of concern, and three pink butterflies gleamed on her flank.

 "I found you in the, um, Everfree Forest and brought you back here because you were, i-injured." Fluttershy explained softly.

 The wolf opened the eye completely. He still refused to talk, although he let out a low huff to show he understood.

 "Then I called Twilight over to examine you. She found some manticore poison in your bloodstream and got it out. Then we sowed and bandaged you up..." Fluttershy continued, pointing nervously with one hoof – a strand of hair falling across her face – to her companions when she mentioned Twilight.

 'Twilight' was a lavender unicorn with wings and a neat, dark blue, streaked mane and tail. An indigo star shone on her flank, and she looked at him with anxious purple eyes. Standing next to her was– THE DRAGON!

 The wolf's eyes shot open, he sat bolt upright and lunged at the purple lizard, fear coursing through his veins. The response he got was a pair of terrified eyes and a childlike scream that froze his blood.

 "NO!" shrieked Fluttershy, staring in horror at where the beast was pinning the dragon to the wall, neck trapped between two lethal claws. Even the tiniest movement, and he'd have his head taken right off of his shoulders. The beast ignored the pegasus' desperate cry, pressing his muzzle against the lizard's snout, fear fuelling him to kill the creature, reason forcing him to hold back.

 The wolf suddenly felt himself being thrown backwards. He landed with a thud, wincing as he felt the gashes on his side rip open, staining the bandages with blood. Upon standing, he felt himself pushed into the floor.

 Looking up, he saw Twilight's face, contorted in anger, "NOBODY. HURTS. MY. DRAGON!" She screamed.

 The meaning behind the words was what hurt the beast the most. Clearly the lizard meant the world to Twilight. But how could such an innocent-looking creature care about the deadly monster? The beast rose to his paws, ignoring the blood leaking from his side. He'd had worse injuries. With a swift jerk of his head, he bit through the bandages to examine the wound. The stitches were hanging loose. Growling, he grabbed the string and pulled, unwinding the stitches and letting the wound open. He needed to bleed out the shadow's poison.