Chapter 4

Link panted as his paws pounded against the ground. His wound had healed up a few days ago, but it still ached. He had overtaken Applejack about a minute ago, yet he could hear her galloping along behind him. Any ponies out on the streets were terrified as they passed. They didn't see two friends desperately following the scream; they saw the cause of the scream and the (possible) pony who had screamed. Right now, neither of them cared. 

 Sweet Apple Acres slowly came into view, and Link skidded to a halt, paws scrabbling to slow himself. There was a thump as Applejack slammed into his back. 

 Link's eyes widened in fear and anger. The stuff he'd seen before was just the final remains of the Twilight. But this was a full onslaught.

 Applebloom was in a tree, clinging desperately to a branch as a Shadow Beast reached up towards her. Shadow Keese, Bulblins and Babas were appearing all over the orchard.

 Memories flooded through Link's mind. His eyes shone with blue flame. He hesitated not a moment more.

 The large wolf leapt forwards, paws barely skimming the ground as he lunged for the dark creature. He opened his jaws the second before he collided with the monster, closing them as soon as tough, foul flesh entered his mouth. He reared his head back, tearing at the creature until black blood spurted onto his muzzle. The shadowy monster shrieked and fell limp.

 Link tensed as large, curved rocks smacked into the ground around him, forming a circle. Red energy filled the gaps. He lowered into a crouch and waited for the dark energy field to form. It didn't.

 The wolf silently cursed. The portal above was constantly spawning more shadow creatures. He glanced up at Applebloom.

 The small filly was still hanging onto the branch, eyes wide and teary. Link sighed. He was about to do something he had never before. He wasn't even entirely sure it was possible. Even if it did work, he'd have to come back later to destroy the portal.

 The wolf turned to the tree, darting between the other two monsters before resting at the bottom of the trunk. A moment later, Applebloom landed on his back. Link didn't waste a second, turning on his heels and leaping over the creatures, and then over the field of energy.

~~~~~~~~~~

Link's eyes widened as his paws touched down on the other side of the energy field. Applejack immediately ran up to him, taking Applebloom from his back and hugging her tightly.

 "Applebloom! Oh Celestia... What happened?" Applejack murmured.

 "We were... we were j-just going to take... going to take the last of the treats to S-sugarcube Corner when... when... th-that thing appeared in the s-sky!" Applebloom wailed, clutching at her sister.

 "What is that?" Twilight ran up to the three friends, the rest of the group finally catching up.

 Link growled at Fluttershy as she, Pinkie, Rarity and Rainbow came up beside them.

 "A 'Twilight' portal?" the pegasus pondered.

 Bark.

 Fluttershy nodded before turning nervously to her friends.

 "Link says we have to... um... k-kill the monsters inside that energy field to g-get rid of the portal."

 "Well then let's get those monsters! He's already taken care of one!" Rainbow exclaimed. The blue pegasus suddenly rose into the air, flying over the energy field and straight into the chest of another Shadow Beast. The monster shrieked and fell to the ground.