Chapter 5

Link sighed as his friends fled the battlefield. A yell behind him was cut short as his hindlegs collided with a Bulblin's chest. The wolf smiled; he'd learnt a lot, even if he hadn't been the one kicking trees. 

His eye twitched as he heard yet another scream from behind him. He growled in frustration as the sound of something heavy landing sounded once again. The wolf turned on his heel and leapt before the creature could react, pinning the Aeralfos and clamping his jaws down. Link stood again, spitting out the blood that had seeped through his jaws. The monster's body quickly burst into dark energy and disappeared, much like the previous one. 

 The wolf suddenly tensed, sensing a presence beside him. He turned, snapping his jaws, surprised to see nothing. His ear twitched and there was a humming by his side. Link turned again, eyes narrowing. There was still nothing. 

  There's one more group of Shadow Beasts... claimed a voice right next to his ear. 

The wolf was momentarily confused before his head suddenly began to split open. At least, it felt like it. Blinding pain as his head was filled with images of a large hill, prowling with Shadow Beasts. The pain left as suddenly as it had appeared, and he realised exactly why the portal hadn't left.

 He set off towards where he knew the hill rested, adding speed as his paws pounded the earth. He arrived quickly to find four Shadow Beasts roaming freely on the hilltop. Link growled angrily, prowling towards them. 

The wolf was shocked when a circle of dark energy, crackling with red, suddenly appeared around him. He grinned and crept forwards a bit more before releasing the tension and leaping towards the closest Shadow Beast. 

 The monster screamed, quickly joined by its comrades as Link jumped between them with incredible speed. The wolf jumped at the final beast right as it began the piercing wail to revive its fallen friends. He dared to land for a split second, adding extra speed to his jump as he leapt again, this time tearing into the monster's flesh and emerging on the other side of the creature as it fell to the ground. That didn't happen often. 

 Link let out a victorious howl that suddenly cut off as the adrenaline faded and the pain in his sides kicked in. Both sides were drenched in deep red blood that was still dripping to the floor. 

 The wolf cautiously looked down at the ground beneath him, taking a deep breath at the sight of the grass staining red. He looked around at one of his sides. The dark fur seemed to blend with the blood, however the white made it painfully obvious how bad the wound was. 

 The beast smiled slightly. He'd survived worse. Of course, whenever he'd sustained an injury like this before, he'd usually-

~~~~~~~~~~

The wolf groaned as his eyes opened slightly. The scene before him wasn't one of chaos, as he had last seen, but instead one of worry and fear. He was lying on a plush bed in a cool crystal room with a small table in the middle. Twilight, Rainbow, Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Applejack sat around it, conversing with fear in their voices. 

 Link himself felt incredibly stiff, as if the tiniest movement would be impossible. His entire torso was wrapped in bloodstained bandages that didn't help the whole 'moving' thing. He let out a rough bark that attracted the attention of the ponies in the room. 

 "Link!" Fluttershy cried, running over and resting a hoof on the bed. "Are you okay?"

 The wolf nodded slightly, giving a short growl.