Chapter 3: The Note

Damian's POV...

I ran through the park after a thug. He had a dufflebag full of money and important computer chips. It felt good to be fighting villains again. Batman had forced me to stay inside for three weeks to let my arm heal. It was still wrapped up to keep from being put out of place, but I could still fight.

The man knocked over a trash can, but I simply jumped over it. I shot my grappling hook into a tree and swung, knocking my heels into the robber's head. He was knocked out instantly. I rolled to soften my impact and jumped back up. I grabbed a pair of handcuffs out of my utility belt and put them on the man, spitting on him.

I grabbed my grappling hook and stuck it into my utility belt. I glanced back at the man. I checked his pulse, old habits die hard, and his heart was still beating. I'd never tell anyone, but I have a constant fear of falling back into my old self. That I'll just hit the right spot or my old instincts will take over. I took a deep breath. No. Your not going back to that. Your changed, got it!

I walked away from the man, leaving him to the police. Just then, I got a call from Batman. "Meet me in the abandoned warehouse at the docks."

"On my way," I told him. I took my grappling hook back out of my utility belt and started on my way to the warehouse.

~

I'd fought the Joker quite a few times. His crazy, lunacy had no effect on me. He was simply insane. You just simply had to be ready for anything. Unfortunately, I always got stuck fighting Joker's henchmen while Batman fought the crazed clown. I understand his fear, after Todd's death, but I wasn't like Todd. No prison could hold me and neither could a villain.

I finished off the goons quickly, rushing to Batman's side. He was already getting ready to fight the Joker. The clown turned towards me. "It looks like the Boy Blunder wants a bit of the action, hm?" The Joker cackled. "How cute."

While Joker was distracted, Batman threw a punch at him. He stumbled back a bit, chuckling. "You're gonna have to try better than that, Batsy!" He threw down an explosive. I covered myself up in my fireproof cape, stumbling back a bit from the impact.

The smoke cleared, but the Joker was nowhere to be seen. Batman swore and tried to find a trace of the clown. I looked too. The Joker was one of Gotham's top villains. If he was out, people panicked.

There was no trace of where the Joker went. It was my turn to swear.

"Come on, Robin," he said. "I guess we'd better go home."

"We've gotta keep looking," I said. "He could be-"

"You're in no position to fight right now," Batman said, gesturing to my still broken arm. "I'm taking you home, then I'm gonna find Joker, got it?"

I crossed my arms. "I'm fine! I'd been through far worse than this when I was five."

"I'm your guardian, and I'm telling you that you're going home. Got it?" He tried to give me a Batglare, but they didn't work on me. I shrugged. "Fine."

"Good," Batman said. "Let's go."

He walked out of the room. I had just started to follow when an arrow was embedded into the wall, just by my ear. I noticed a note wrapped around the shaft. Curiously, I took the piece of paper. I was about to read it when a beeping sounded. I threw my hood over my head and ducked for cover as the arrow exploded.

The next thing I knew, Batman was pulling me out from under some rubble. "Robin? Can you hear me?"

I groaned and sat up, rubbing my aching head. "I'm okay," I answered.

"What was that? Was it Joker?"

I shook my head. "It was an arrow. I'm not sure where it came from. Looked like an assassins one, but I didn't get a very close look at it before it blew up."

Batman nodded. My head was still spinning and I was sure I had a concussion. He helped me onto my feet. "Can you walk by yourself?"

"What am I, two?" I asked, standing up by myself. I followed Batman to the Batmobile. My head was pounding, but I didn't say anything about it. Father would just hand me over to Alfred and then I would be able to leave on a mission in another week.

The drive home was quiet. Now it was certain that Father wouldn't let me out on patrol again tonight. I glanced at the clock. 11:45. Way too early to quit.

Batman drove to the Batcave, collecting a few more gadgets. "Get in bed or I'll make sure Titus doesn't let you leave your room. Got it?"

I nodded, knowing my punishment would be worse if I disobeyed a simple order like to stay home. I went up to my room and took the note out of my pocket, placing it on my night stand, before changing into my pajamas after a quick shower.

I sat on my bed and opened the paper. It was a note that read;

Dear "Robin" aka Damian Wayne.
I'm alive and well, even though you thought I was terminated. Your world is about to flip upside down, so you'd better keep your training wheels on. If you try to find me, I'll kill your dog, then your father, than your butler. When I come for you, do not struggle. Come quietly and no one gets hurt. I don't think I have to say if you do...
I'll give you a week, "Robin".
Be ready.
- Deathstroke

I let the note fall through my fingertips. He was alive. Slade was alive.

And he was hunting me...