Forgiveness

Raquel spent the next six hours pouring over the information about Maya's operation, giving her input and knowledge of the many bases she had visited through out her life under Maya's rule. Demi was wary, yet fascinated at how knowledgable she was, so Raquel wasn't surprised that she was asked the question she eventually was.

"How does a prison guard know so much about base operations, along with what codes to copy?" asked Demi suspiciously.

Many individuals in the room froze, waiting for Raquel to answer Demi's question.

Raquel who was in the middle of marking the base maps, froze and slowly put her pen down. Slumping down, gazing at everyone around the room, she realized she had no choice but to answer the question as honestly as she could, and hope they didn't condemn her for mistakes that were not hers.

Her eyes lowered to the ground in shame, and quietly said, "The General was my father, and Maya Mitchell is my Aunt."

The room was filled with gasps of shock and outrage, many jumping to their feet in anger, making Raquel flinch in fear.

"Quiet!" Shouted Camila angrily, as she stepped into the room, surprising them all.

Gentle fingers clasped Raquels chin, lifting her face up so her eyes were meeting compassionate brown.

"If she was a threat, she would have lied, especially knowing we were at her mercy because we need her help. You do not blame a child for their parents evil deeds but the actions of their character. This girl risked her life to help us win this war and save my wife, your LEADER. The Generals blood may flow through her veins, but that does not make her evil. Following in his footsteps would have. Seeing as she's here and not helping her aunt torture my wife, I can count her as a friend. As should the rest of you. We are not so far down, that we forget to see the good in people. She is making it possible to save the lives of our families, so grow up and keep the hateful comments to yourself, because this girl risked her life to come here and help us. Show her the respect she deserves." Camila commanded giving Raquel a soft smile, before turning a stern gaze across the room to her regretful companions.

"I agree. Blood isn't everything you are. I've learned that you can choose your own family and they can love you just as fiercely." Demi added with a smile.

Raquel swallowed roughly, and and rasped out,"Thank you. Lauren was right about you both. I can see why she loves you so effortlessly."

Camila chuckled tearfully as she said,"Well I don't know about effortlessly. The best things in life are those you have to fight for. But when you love with everything you have, it can seem effortless."

Raquel smiled, picking up her pen and continuing to mark the bases she knew were holding prisoners and Maya's soldiers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They spent two more hours going over their plan, trying to work out different scenario's until finally agreeing to best way to attack the compound.

Camila led Raquel to a room on their family level, aware that in order for the teen to make it back, she would need at least a few hours rest. After having showered and changed, Raquel was surprised to see Camila sitting on the bed waiting for her.

"I thought that we could get to know each other a little before you went to sleep. I'm a little curious to know why the General's daughter is a guard and not someone of Ariana's status." Camila said softly.

Raquel smiled sadly understanding.

"You can invite the others if you want, there's room for a few more." Raquel whispered, climbing into the bed, sitting against the head board as she brought her knees to her chest in a protective way.