Slow Me Down

You look at me with hopeful eyes and I feel a tug at my chest. A shiny opalescent tear slips down your face as you look at me. I know with all my power this will hurt me. I know somewhere along the road it'll crash and burn. But looking up at you with your shiny brown eyes and quivering lip tells me sometimes it hurts less to lie. I break my own heart as I reassemble yours. Maybe I'm a masochist after all.

Your eyes are brimmed with tears, turning them into a glassy hazel...a sad color. They just bore into my mind...controlling me. I would do anything to stop those tears, anything to stop them from spilling down, onto your scuffed, dirty sneakers. Anything...

Watching you cry is possibly one of the worst things ever. It's like being tied down...held down...and watching someone you love die before your eyes. I can't help but feel sorry for you as you stand there, crying silently. What am I supposed to do? I know it's a stupid idea. It's going to backfire eventually, and I know it...But...I still can't help from doing it anyways...

I sigh, my heart cracking bitterly. I lean up as my own tears start to fall. You close your eyes and lean down, and we meet in the middle. I taste tears and Coke a Cola as you desperately try to hold onto something solid. The wetness on our cheeks mingle as we pour our hearts out into that frail connection. You push harder, trying to make something out of your broken heart. It was enough. I pull away and a tingling radiates my face as a mixed tear runs down my own cheek. I couldn't tell whose it was anymore...Your eyes dart around, meeting everything but my own. Covering my mouth with my hands, I can still taste the lingering feeling of broken hearts and soda. The only thing I can think of doing is running.

So I do.