Javier Muñoz

Hamilton: u/s Alexander Hamilton

Childhood
Javier, son of a Puerto Rican family, grew up in the Brooklyn neighborhood located in East New York. He went to high school at Edward R. Murrow High School. At that school, he was a part of the drama club.

From the New York University, he received his BFA and was a part of an acting program called CAP 21.

Career
In the beginning of his career, Javier played many roles in Off-Broadway productions. One of those roles included Ziad, at Altered Stages in New York.

When he was playing in the Off-Broadway musical All is Love, he auditioned for In The Heights. He got a role that was cut, but stayed in the ensemble.

However, on Feburary 16th, 2009, he took the role of Usnavi in the Broadway production of In The Heights. He went on to play the role on the national tour.

A theatre critic commented on how Javier made the romance between the characters Usnavi and Vanessa more "believable", unlike when Lin-Manuel Miranda originated the role.

Now he is a part of Hamilton, which started in 2015. He appears as be understudy frequently, when he is needed. He played the role on the night President Obama and his family came to see the musical.

Yet another critic commented on Javier's take on the role of Alexander Hamilton. The critic said as quoted "the cutting carnal edge of Mr. Muñoz's performance may slightly alter the production's chemistry, especially between Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler, his intellectual equal and sister-in-law."

He has also founded the JDOCs page. On this social media page, he discusses topics for a few minutes through videos. Javier is anti-bullying advocate as well.

Social Media
Facebook: @Javier Muñoz
Twitter: @JMunozActor
Snapchat: @thejnm