Chapter Five

Nate

My only thought was keeping Atira alive. It was my instinct. This may sound strange but I am her protector. My bloodline is from guards, protectors of the queen and her lineage. I am mentally attached to her in many ways, but not in the way someone would think.

When I was younger my father told me the whole story, our family’s secret. It was a ceremony, the eerie kind. The kind that made a shiver run up your spine. I remember everything he told me, and everything that happened down to the last chilling line.

It was magic, really.

“Son, can I trust you with a secret?” My father whispered to me as I loaded my bow. I had finally reached the age of ten, which meant I could officially be taught to hunt.

“Of course father, you can trust me with anything!” I replied with anticipation of his next words.

“You must swear to it, swear you will not tell a soul. Can you promise me, son?”

I nodded my headed excitedly.

“I believe you. Now this secret has been passed down through the centuries. Can you promise to pass it on to your children?”

Again, my excitement was uncontrollable as I nodded my head vigorously.

“Just tell me father, you know you can trust me!”

My father seemed to ponder these words before he spoke, “Long ago there was a time of peace and prosperity. The land was fruitful and growing. Then, a curse plagued the land. This curse was caused by the King and Queen’s stupidity and ignorance.”

“The ruler’s right now?” I asked, concerned with his tone. He could be arrested for treason, speaking like this.

“No, but the ruler’s now are not much better or different my son, please know that I

mean no harm to them in any way.

Long ago, the kingdom was bountiful and ignorant, portraying their leaders exactly. The King and Queen were ignorant, and their stupidity led to a rebellion. A certain group of people who called themselves assassins of the night, rose up and made plans to kidnap and murder the queen.

This is how we were born. One man, putting his life on the line, for the sake of the queen. Without her knowledge, he was bound to her by blood, giving him infinite knowledge about her. He saw her thoughts, words and deeds in his head. Even when others were thinking about her, he could see their thoughts and where they were.

It was heroic, but a burden in the same. He was plagued with images his whole life, and bound to her no matter how much he wanted to relieve himself of the bound.

If you agree to do this, you will also never rebel against her and it is completely impossible to do so. You will not even be capable of it, you will have to listen to everything she says, and if it is not for the good of the kingdom, try to convince her out of it.

Can you handle this, Nate?” My father finished his story with a flourish. He rubbed his beard nervously, I could tell he was questioning what my answer might be.

My eyes were open wide in shock of everything he had explained to me. Be forever bound to her? I mean, I love her and all, but she is my best friend! I don’t know if I would be able to handle her crazy notions swimming through my mind all day and night. Though who would protect her if I didn’t? I don’t think I could stand someone else knowing her like that.