Chapter Two: History Lesson*

The next day, Kallan sprinted to The Tower, a large spiraling building covered in Primum symbols, headquarters of all Primum government affairs. She burst through the door, ignoring the guards. She sprinted up forty-nine flights of stairs to the top floor, where Raidah's quarters were.

"I need you to tell me," Kallan said, breathing heavily. "You said that you would tell me once the Recovery started. You said that before that I wasn't ready to handle it, but now I am, you said so yourself. Tell me what I can do. Tell me what this means."

She gestured to the tattoos on her left arm and cheek, mysterious Primum symbols colored smoky gray and pure white, which stood out dramatically against dark skin. They were quite pretty, and Kallan was very proud of them, and just because of their looks, but because of what they meant.

Raidah sat still in her chair, facing her vanity mirror. Her reflection showed no expression. After several minutes, she turned around to face Kallan. She looked more worn out and tired than Kallan had ever seen.

"I going to be honest with you Kallan," she said with a sigh. "You're tattoos are very rare, and we told you they hadn't been seen for a very long time in Primum history."

"Yeah, I know that. Hey, who was the last person like this?" Kallan asked.

"That's just the thing," Raidah started. "We don't exactly know. There are now records of anyone having those tattoos, and they are very ancient symbols which are no longer used."

"So... what are you trying to tell me?" puzzled Kallan.

"What I'm trying to say is, we have no idea what your tattoos mean."

Kallan stood, silent, in shock.

"However, there is a way to find out," Raidah added. "But, it won't be easy. Not at all."

"What do I have to do?"

"You've studied your history, yes?" asked Raidah.

Kallan nodded.

"What do you know about the history of our people?"

"Our people, the Primum, were the dominant beings of this planet in its beginning. Eventually, the humans decided they wanted to have control. Primum people were killed or driven out of what the humans now call Europe, Australia, and Africa. For a few centuries the Primum people were able to peacefully coexist with humans in Asia, but then the Primum population grew too large to continue hiding from the people who were against us. We migrated to North and South America, were the human population was more excepting. We learned from each other and grew. But then a human by the name of Christopher Columbus 'discovered' the Americas and we were once again forced into hiding. Our people currently reside in the space the humans refer to as the Bermuda Triangle. We call it the Totus Islands. Primum use our ability to work with natural elements to control the environment around these islands and keep out people. But our population is dwindling, and we must recover our own rightful land which the humans so cruelly drove us out of, in order that we do not die out."

"And why is our population declining while the humans increase?" Raidah inquired.

"What is this, a history test?" Kallan joked.

"I'm trying to explain something, and if you want to initiate the Recovery you better go with it!" Raidah snapped.

"Oh. Uh, sorry," mumbled Kallan.

"Now, please answer the question."

"Well, Primum, are born when metals and dust fall from space and certain chemical reaction occurs, creating an egg. In the early days of Primum life, eggs were plentiful. But as the human population grew, their pollution and wasteful byproduct has ruined the perfect conditions that a Primum egg needs to hatch. Also, it is rarer for an egg to be found by our people because humans stumble upon them and put them in museums, displayed as artifacts from an ancient civilization. It is also now not as common for eggs to be created since the humans have damaged the environment the metals and space dust need to form an egg. Here, in the place we have claimed, we are able to create the conditions an egg needs to thrive, but all eggs found must be relocated to here as quickly as possible. It is difficult to send out egg search parties in today's modern world of humans."