Chapter 8

Uncle appears from Azar's side and takes half of the gifts from him.

"Salam, Abeer beta," Uncle says, patting my head with his free hand.

"Walaikumusalam," I automatically reply, but my voice is almost inaudible. Pops comes and welcomes Uncle, and they go inside too, leaving Azar and me behind.

"You finally wore the ring, I see," he observes and brushes past me into the house.

My mind starts running a marathon, and I realize that I am having an anxiety attack. I hold the door handle to keep myself standing.

I must be dreaming. It can't be true. Azar Hussain.... He can't be the one I'm marrying. How come I am marrying him? And he knew? Did Mom know too? Mom lied to me. She lied to me. All those years at the parties... it wasn't just for Maliha. It was for me too. Oh my God. The truth dawns upon me like a dark storm. What did she do? What did she do?

I go inside numbly, still in utter shock with the realization urging me to burst out. "Azar, what are you doing nowadays?" Mom asks him, ignoring me as I glare at her.

"I'm working on a startup business," he replies, his mannerisms sickly polite.

"I thought you were joining the family business like Ahmed," Mom recalls.

"Well, the family business isn't really my thing. I want to work on something I love and build it from the scratch like Baba," he explains with a small smile.

I look away from the sight, feeling disgusted by both of them. "Mom, I will go help Maliha in the kitchen," I say, trying to avoid exploding in front of everyone.

"Don't worry, Abeer, Eshaal and I will help Maliha in the kitchen. You and Azar can ask each other some questions meanwhile," Mrs. Noor says, giving me a knowing smile, and before I can argue, they leave.

The awkward silence is killing me. "Let's go outside," I mumble.

"What's with the face covering?" He asks the moment we are in the front yard. "We will be married in a few days. You don't need to." I don't know what to say to him. "Why aren't you asking me questions? Isn't today just arranged for that?" He asks with monotony, as if bored.

"You left me speechless, Azar," I manage to say. My palpitations are through the roof. I need to sit down, I think, and move to the nearest bench to do so.

Oh Allah, what has Mom done? What have I said yes to?

"Oh nice, that's an accomplishment, to leave Abeer Irfan speechless. I like the sound of that," he comments, sitting beside me, and I scoot away from him. Don't break down in front of him. Don't be pathetic. I hold my head in my hands, failing to get myself together. "Drop the act, angel. I know you are glad to see me."

"I see you haven't changed a bit," I try to control my temper.

"And you haven't either," he claims. "You are still avoiding my eyes."

"Why?" I ask, at last, unable to contain the fury burning inside me.

"What why?" He pretends to not know.

"You don't look surprised to see me," I point out bitterly.

"Why would I be surprised? Are you surprised?" He asks instead. "You said yes, years ago."

I am dumbfounded. "What? When? I never said yes to anything," I ramble in panic.

"Abeer, who are you trying to fool? All those parties, you are saying you never knew it was me?" He lets out a laugh in disbelief. "Your lies are unbelievable."

My head spins, and I feel nauseous. I cannot believe what just happened. He thinks I said yes. He thinks we are engaged for years. "I don't understand," I whisper mostly to myself.