Chapter 42

Brace yourselves...
__________________

"Are you sure that she will be okay?" I hear a very familiar voice. Azar...

"She just became unconscious due to inhaling smoke. There are no injuries," I hear a highly feminine, business-like voice. "And here are your ointments. Apply them at night before sleep and in the morning after you wake up."

"Thank you so much."

I force my eyes open and try to sit up, and Azar rushes toward me to help me do so. The doctor beside me offers me a smile and says, "Look who is up. I'll send the nurse with the discharge papers."

She exits the room, leaving Azar and me behind. Azar seems to not take the doctor's word for it and instead, searches for any injuries. He seems too far away from me as if he is lost in his own thoughts or maybe I am too lost in mine. "This must be a dream," I say, the memory of Raheesh fresh in my head, but he isn't around no matter how many times my eyes scan the room.

"This is not a dream, Abeer," Azar assures, keeping his hand on mine. "You are safe. You are okay."

I don't believe him, even though he feels real. "He has found me. I wish I was dead. I wish I die. I can't face him. Oh Allah, please let me die."

"Abeer!" Azar reprimands. "You just panicked because of the fire," he continues, lowering his voice. "There was no one. It's just you and me here, okay?"

I meet Azar's eyes, wishing his words were true. "This time I saw him," I insist. "He was there. This is a dream. He would come any moment. He would wake me up now. I don't want to wake up. Please don't let me wake up, Azar."

"Does this feel real enough for you?" He touches my face, his eyes desperate to calm me. "This is no dream, Abeer. I pulled you out from the fire, and the culprit is behind the bars. In fact, the apartment was searched, and there was no one in there. It is Mishal who is behind this."

"This time I saw him, Azar," I repeat. "I swear I did."

"How can you be so sure?" he asks cautiously.

"He..." I pause, wishing I didn't have to describe him. "H-he was wearing a thobe and a taqiyah. He also had a b-beard. H-his get-up wasn't like this the l-last time I s-saw h-him."

"Abeer, I was standing by the door. He couldn't have entered the house. The windows all have safety bars. Okay, suppose he broke into the house before we came, we toured the whole house. He wasn't there," he says gently, handing me a tissue. "You are just shocked, okay? Besides, Mishal has admitted she did this."

I frown, not understanding. "Why would she—" I stop when the nurse enters the room and hands the discharge papers to Azar.

"Baba and your Pops are waiting outside. Mama and Mom are at my parents' house," Azar informs as he signs the papers and gives them back to the nurse.

He hands me my spare abaya, scarf, and veil, which he says Mom brought for me. The panic inside me doesn't dissipate, yet when I leave the room, the police officers waiting outside tell us that they did a thorough checkup and no evidence suggests any entry into the apartment.

After repeatedly assuring Pops and Baba that I'm okay, we head back to Azar's house. When I reach home, Mom and Mama both embrace me tightly and keep asking me about my health after every five minutes. Even though Mom insists I come home with her, I refuse and tell her I want to stay. After Mom and Pops head back, I get a call from Maliha, and I talk to her as I go to Azar's room. I notice Azar putting an ointment on his arm as I talk on the mobile.

"Did he hurt you?" I ask Azar immediately after Maliha hangs up.

"Abeer, I told you it was Mishal's plan." He unfolds his sleeve quickly as he says firmly, but keeps his tone soft, perhaps out of concern.