Chapter 5

(I finished writing an essay today~  And that's about it for Ly's Recent Achievements. Easter break is only a week away and I'm hopefully gonna get back to my to-watch anime list. And I might even rewatch Devil ;) Anyway, right now, let's get back to HaMoShi! A little more of Emi, Suzuno and Chiho this time~)

He was lucky they hadn't pressed any further, he wouldn't have known what to say. But as long as his friends knew to be careful around Sarue, he didn't feel he needed to. He made his way into the courtyard of Villa Rosa and up the stairs, his head down as he ran scenarios through his head of what could happen should either Shizuka, Momoko or the both of them somehow get caught up with the other angel.

He was so focused on his thoughts, he didn't see the person looking out at him from the window of the apartment, not until he was inside the corridor and opening the door, only to come face-to-face with Chiho. He immediately took a step back, letting out a surprised noise somewhere between a gasp and a yelp.

"Finally, you're back!" she was already rambling, not giving him any time to recover, "I can't believe it, you really do have friends! How on Earth did someone like you get to know two perfectly normal, good-looking people?"

Ok, that got him.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?!" then... "Wait... Did you follow me? What the actual Hell, Sasaki?!"

Another familiar voice came from inside the apartment.

"Yes, we did."

Chiho stepped aside to let Urushihara in. On entering, he found Emi, Maou and Ashiya at the table. Emi was looking up at him, the firmness he had heard in her voice reflected in her eyes. Ashiya also looked at him, though he seemed mostly indifferent. Maou, on the other hand, had his elbow propped up on the table and his chin in his hand, glaring at Emi opposite him. Clearly, they'd had yet another disagreement right before he got home. Although, 'glare' might not be the right word. Urushihara couldn't quite read him. Chiho joined them, taking the spot between Emi and Maou. Urushihara stepped forward then stopped at the sound of sandals on wood behind him. He turned to see Suzuno framed by the doorway.

"I thought I heard your voice," she said plainly as she closed the door behind her and went to sit beside Emi, "I believe we have a few things to discuss with you, Good Hanzo."

Urushihara stayed where he was by the door and crossed his arms, raising one eyebrow and giving the others a hard stare. As usual, his defensiveness came out in the form of sarcastic quips.

"So what is this, huh? Some weird intervention for the dumb hermit who dared to go beyond his station in life and make some friends?"

"Have you told them about Ente Isla?" Emi asked, her expression unchanging and her tone even.

Urushihara blinked, surprised. His gaze shifted to Maou for a brief moment. Maou hadn't changed his position, but he had let his strange, watchful stare move from Emi to Urushihara. Their eyes met but nothing passed between them. Despite his normally keen perception of people, Urushihara just couldn't figure out what he was thinking. After only a couple of seconds, he focused back on Emi, his voice rising.

"Of course I haven't. If I actually told them anything, they'd run for the hills, and that's only if they'd believe me in the first place!" Frankly, he was offended she would even assume he would, then Suzuno spoke up.

"Maybe you should."

Maou turned away ever so slightly, closing his eyes. Urushihara tried to ignore him and opened his mouth.

"Wha-"

"It's just something to consider," Maou said pointedly, still not looking at him, "...I'm not completely convinced either." His eyes were on Emi again.

Urushihara fell silent, and Emi took this opportunity to speak.

"Look, all I'm saying is it's been much easier for me and Suzuno to protect Chiho with her knowing the truth about all of us. We're able to trust each other better because she knows..." she locked eyes with Urushihara, "The point is if you insist on seeing these people as regularly as you are, it might be necessary to tell them."

"Might." Maou frowned, still looking at Emi.

"Surely you must have come across something that was difficult to explain to them, Good Hanzo?"

Keeping his head down in crowds, the police car, Sariel... Of course he had. How could he not?

"No. Nothing."

Suzuno's eyes narrowed but Maou interjected before she or Emi could say anything.

"Just think it over. You can't rush this. There's no need for us to dive head-first into something when we don't know what the outcome will be." His voice was strong, commanding. Laced with authority. A king. Beside him, Ashiya nodded resolutely.

"Urushihara, need I remind you, I am a Hero," Emi's voice was unusually subdued compared to every other time she had spouted that same line. She was serious, "It is my sworn duty to protect humans from you demons. All I really want is to keep them safe."

"Heh..." Urushihara's mouth curved into a cold, cynical smirk, "All you really want is to drive them away from me."

Emi slowly stood up. She neither confirmed nor denied his statement as she headed for the door with Chiho close behind her. All she said was "You really should consider it." and then they both left.

There was no response from Urushihara. He quickly made his way over to his laptop, avoiding eye contact with Maou, Ashiya or Suzuno, pulled out his headphones and opened the browser.

Later, though, when Suzuno had left, too, he removed his headphones and let Maou talk to him.

"You know, I don't agree with her. At least, not totally," he mused, "I do think you'll need to tell them eventually, if you really think you can trust them. But you're the only one of us who really knows these people. And I'm not comfortable with the idea of strangers knowing who were really are."

Urushihara, sat at his desk, didn't look away from the screen, but he was definitely listening.

"Well, then, you're in luck. I don't intend on telling them anything..."

He didn't dare say it out loud, but inside, he was worried. He was almost afraid to tell them. He didn't want them to leave him.

He didn't want them to fear him.