Chapter 14

(Hey, guys, sorry this is a day late ^^' My sleep schedule has been completely off for the last few days. But here's the next chapter~! I got some planning done for future chapters, btw. And I'm considering bringing in my headcanon that Suzuno is aro/ace... At this point it feels like it might not quite be relevant enough but hey, we'll see. I want to mention it at the very least. I just love ace and aro headcanons a lot :/ Anyway, let's get on with the story!)

The air was thick with uncertainty as the demons made the trek back to the apartment with Emi a few steps ahead of them, having insisted on making sure they didn't immediately turn back to confront Momoko the minute she left them. Walking nervously at Urushihara's side was Shizuka, his hands stuffed in his pockets. While Maou, Ashiya and Emi took the lead in uncomfortable silence, he kept his eyes fixed on his friend.

Shizuka watched Urushihara closely. His long hair hid his face so it was impossible to read his expression. His head stayed down, as per usual, and his arms hung limply at his side. Only his fingers kept curling into fists and relaxing again, the one sign that told Shizuka he was stressed. At first, Shizuka wasn't sure if he should say anything. He knew that sometimes it was better to leave him to his thoughts, but this didn't feel like the right time to be stuck inside your own mind. Before too long, though, Urushihara began to mutter under his breath. And Shizuka knew him well enough to know that, even if his voice was quiet and his eyes were looking down, he wanted someone to listen. That just having his words be acknowledged was comfort enough.

"This is why I didn't want to say anything... I didn't want you to know..."

When he heard that, Shizuka smiled a little sadly to himself. He couldn't help but think maybe it really would have been better if they never found out. He let Urushihara continue.

"But I guess you would've found out sooner or later," he sighed, "I just wish it didn't happen like it did. We wouldn't have this problem if I could've told you instead of... shown you..."

As he rambled on, his voice rose and became more and more exasperated. Shizuka tried to listen and just let him get it out but eventually he had to interrupt.

"Hanzo, you need to stop."

Urushihara bit his lip, cutting himself off. He was quiet for a moment.

"... It's true, though," he lifted his head enough to look at Shizuka, his face as stoic as ever, "Everything that I was trying to avoid happened."

Shizuka didn't return his gaze. He kept his eyes forward. Urushihara faltered a bit, not sure what he could be thinking, until he saw him frown.

"Would you really want us to not know you? Like, would you really be ok with us never actually knowing who you are? 'Cause y'know, we were already starting to feel like you were hiding something. It wouldn't have taken much more for us to start coming up with crazy conspiracy theories about you."

He had a point. But Urushihara was stubborn.

"Tsk... You know 'Hanzo Urushihara', you don't need to know Lucifer," he turned away again, "You wouldn't want to, anyway, trust me."

"And how would you know what I want, huh? Or what Momoko wants, for that matter?"

No response. He had struck a nerve, clearly. He decided to steer the conversation back to its original topic.

"Anyway, Kamazuki was right when she said the damage was done. All we can do now is hope for the best, y'know?"

"... I doubt that will help any. I won't be surprised if this whole friendship ends here. But, hey, it was nice while it lasted."