Chapter 18

(Hey, guess who still can't stick to her own update schedule~ Sorry, guys, I haven't been able to do much chapter planning until today... Anyway, this fic could potentially be coming to a close soon! My ideas right now could go up to chapter 20, I think? I don't have much more material in mind to fill any more than that and if I try to come up with something else I think it'd just make the story drag on unnecessarily so y'know. Enjoy the last few chapters of Misfit Together~! (Btw I think I might have written Ashiya a little meaner than intended. Please don't be angry at him, he needs a break))

Shizuka did get in touch eventually. It had been a couple of days since he had met with Momoko and now he sat in the apartment opposite Urushihara. Ashiya moved around them, trying to clean the room without getting distracted by their chatter. But that was proving to be quite difficult.

"It's not so bad," Shizuka said with a shrug, "We just need to give her a little more time to warm up to you again."

"We've given her time..." Urushihara couldn't help but huff. He was leaning forward on the table with his chin resting on his crossed arms.

Shizuka shook his head slightly and adjusted his glasses.

"It's a lot to take in," he reminded his friend, "I'm still not used to it. It just keeps... hitting me out of nowhere. Like, I'm friends with a demon. That's not exactly something a human being can easily adjust to."

With a soft groan, Urushihara sat up, "I know... It's just that she won't even talk to me. Not even online. I've made it clear I'm not gonna hurt her, haven't I?"

"This is making her question things. She doesn't know if she can even believe you won't hurt her. Think about this from her point of view. She needs some solid proof."

"Proof of what, exactly?" Urushihara swung his hand around as he talked, "That I'm not dangerous? 'Cause I gotta be honest with ya, I kinda am."

Ashiya dodged out of Urushihara's way before he dropped the laundry he was carrying. He gritted his teeth and carried on with his work.

"I mean proof that you're still her friend and she can trust you. You have to wait it out until she's ready to talk to you and show her you're still the same guy she always knew, even if you do have giant wings and magic powers."

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Figure it out while you wait, I guess."

That only elicited another frustrated groan from Urushihara. He wasn't used to taking other people's thoughts and feelings into consideration but if this was the price he had to pay to have, and keep, friends, then he would have to do it. But then his thoughts were interrupted by Ashiya's bitter voice.

"Is there a reason this conversation has to take place in the apartment while I'm busy? Couldn't you have gone out somewhere to talk?"

"We needed someplace private," was the only answer they could offer.

"Isn't Ms Kamazuki involved in all this now? You could always go and talk in her apartment."

Urushihara and Shizuka looked at each other, expressionless.

"That was not merely a suggestion. Get out. Give me some peace and quiet for a while."

From the look on his face, he wasn't kidding. They stood up and made their way to the room next door. As usual, Urushihara knocked twice and pushed the door.

"Su?"

"Oh, Good Hanzo, I wasn't expecting you," Suzuno appeared in front of them, "And Good Shizuka. It's nice to see you again."

She gave a small bow which Shizuka returned.

"What brings you here?" she stepped back to let them inside, "Is there something wrong?"

"Well, Ashiya kicked us out." Urushihara went straight to sit at the table.

Suzuno shot him a glare then turned to Shizuka, who was still stood by the door.

"We were talking about Momoko."

Nodding, Suzuno went to sit down, Shizuka following behind.

"I see. What did she say when you spoke with her?"

"She's still not sure about things. She does want to talk to Hanzo again, she just needs a little more time to get her thoughts straight and stuff," he looked at Urushihara, "But he's getting pretty restless."

"I can imagine."

As they both frowned at him, Urushihara pouted and turned away. He wasn't going to deny it, but he didn't want to admit it either.

"... I just want things to go back to normal as soon as possible, alright?"

They could all agree on that. They talked for a while more about Momoko and how they could ease her fears until Shizuka had a thought.

"Kamazuki," they both turned to look at him, "Why don't you come with me to try talking to her just one more time?"

"But how would that help?"

"She might listen to you. She said she could at least consider trusting you."

At this, Urushihara turned to Suzuno with an unreadable expression on his face.

"... When?"

"Whenever. Tomorrow? Today?"

She glanced between them a few times. She seemed reluctant at first but when she saw Urushihara's face she smiled and nodded.

"We'll talk with her together, as soon as we can."

It was barely noticeable, but Urushihara perked up at those words. If Momoko really would listen to Suzuno, he had no doubt she could convince her to talk to him again. Urushihara soon returned to room 201, and this time he was alone.

Shizuka, meanwhile, was texting Momoko as he led Suzuno through Sasazuka and towards Hatagaya. He wasn't surprised that the first thing she asked upon being asked to meet up was if Urushihara would be there and he assured her he wouldn't. When Momoko saw that he had brought Suzuno along instead, she was surprised.

"Miss Kamazuki? What are you doing here?" she asked, a little flustered but smiling.

"I wanted to talk to you about Good Hanzo again."

Momoko's smile dropped.

"Oh..."

Suzuno and Shizuka both noticed her falter.

"Good Momoko," Suzuno took a step closer, "I told you before that I wanted to learn more about Good Hanzo and get to know him better. I have learned more about him since we last talked and I have found there truly is many sides to him. Although he can be rather disagreeable, he knows when he needs to be kind and considerate towards others. He can be caring and helpful when it really matters."

"... But what if it's all a big lie? That's what I'm worried about."

"I understand your concerns," Suzuno's voice softened, "I had the same suspicions not so long ago but I've seen it first-hand now. He does care for his friends. And he's been worried about you. Please, if nothing else, you should talk to him."

Momoko bit her lip, glancing away from Suzuno and over to Shizuka. He watched her pleadingly.

"He's not gonna hurt you, ok? He seriously just wants to talk to you, Mo."

She twisted her wristband around a few times.

"I do want to try and work this all out..." she looked back at them again, "I guess it's better to do it sooner than later, right?"