Stef's Guide to Graphic Making 101 (hopefully)

Note: This was written in 2016. My views and software and laptop/computer have changed vastly over time.

I have been swamped with questions on graphic making. So I've decided to throw together a simple guide to graphic making ( at least, how I do it).

1. Get a good software

Can't stress this enough

Can't stress this enough. Without a good software, you can't make a good graphic. By good software, I mean softwares that are not apps which you use on your phone. What I am talking about are Photoshop, GIMP and Pixlr. 

There are three categories:

(i) The really broke one

You have no money for Photoshop, you have no money for any decent software, and you want to make graphics. This is where Pixlr editor comes in for you. Pixlr is a free online editing software with very basic tools for you to make graphics with. Don't look down on the power of Pixlr, I've seen people come up with mindblowing graphics with Pixlr (and paint).

Also, Photoshop cs2 comes free with your computer now.

(ii) The still very broke one but with some knowledge of photo editing

Now you have the grasp of graphic making basics, it's time to upgrade! GIMP is a free photo editing software which is as good as photoshop. It has a ton of amazing tools, filters, and features. It takes time, however, to get around these new tools which Pixlr lacks.

(iii) The still very broke one but with the mind of a hacker in which you somehow manage to land yourself free photoshop you all know what I mean/ the one who finally persuaded their parents to buy photoshop/ professional who buys photoshop for work

Adobe Photoshop is one of the best editing softwares out there. I use Photoshop cs6 (edit: fast-forward 2018, I am using Photoshop cc, the legal version). Photoshop now comes with many MANY versions ranging from psc 3-7, cc, Elements, Illustrator etc. Photoshop shares some same features with GIMP, but they are not totally the same.

2. Get to know your tools

You can't make a good graphic if you spend 21415 hours figuring out where the lasso tool is

You can't make a good graphic if you spend 21415 hours figuring out where the lasso tool is. Pinpoint your tools, read up on them, try them. Right now I am so used to my Photoshop cs6 tools my mouse just flies over them and grab whatever I want to make my graphics. Make sure that your work space is at its full potential, which means you're very comfortable with the way your tools are arranged and the way your features ( actions, brushes, text, styles, swatches etc) are arranged. My tools are normally in a single line on the left and the features on the right.