Chapter One

9 years earlier...

"Cay? Cay, wake up." I whispered urgently. He mumbled something incoherently sleepily and simply hugged me tighter. I shook his bare shoulder. "No, seriously, get up!" I hissed. He gave a sleepy groan and forced his super light brown eyes open and squinted at me. "Honey, this better be good." he moaned. "Can you smell that?" I asked him. He frowned and then propped himself up on his elbow and I saw his nose twitching slightly. I felt him tense up. "No..." he whispered. "What is it? Whose scent is it?" I asked, gripping his arm. Caden's heart rate picked up and so did his breathing as he sat up straight, ears pricked up.

We heard a distant thud and glass smashing downstairs. I looked sharply at Caden. "What's happening?" I asked desperately. His eyes morphed into these bright golden ones. "Rogues," he growled. "They got in."

"What?" I whisper yelled at him, clutching him tighter. "But there's the pack downstairs, we have to help them!" I said kneeling up beside him. He closed his eyes and breathed in. Then he opened them again and looked at me. "It's too late," he whispered. "Michael only just barely made it alive. Half the pack's gone." he said. I pressed my hand over my mouth as tears spilled over and I shook my head. 

"No, no! Make them stop, Caden! Make them stop!" I sobbed, shaking him. He looked pained himself as he held onto my upper arms to calm me down. "Kali, look, I don't know what we can do. I'm just as scared as you, princess." he said, his eyes still glowing with anger. "Now, I want you to stay calm. I'm gonna head downstairs and see if I can fight them off. You stay here, got it?" he said firmly. I nodded, terrified. He kissed me gently. "I'll be back." he whispered, one hand on my cheek. Then he got up and pulled his jeans and a t-shirt on in the dark bedroom.

"Caden, before you go," I said, stroking my stomach nervously. He turned to face be as he buttoned up his jeans. "Yeah?" he asked. "Uhm, I know it's not the right time to tell you but, I need to tell you." I said firmly, just in case I as to change my mind. I saw his dark eyebrows knit into a frown and his eyes go back to their natural colour. I smiled and looked down, hand still on my belly, then I shuffled to the end of our bed on my knees. I reached to the back of my hair and pulled out my golden brooch that was in the shape of a long feather with several pink diamonds.

I let my hair fall and then looked up at him as I played with the brooh as I always did in severe cases of anxiety. Caden pushed some of my hair back and tilted my head up "What? What are you so nervous to talk to me about?" he asked softly, his hot breath tickling my cheeks. I took a deep breath "Well," I started my heart beating like crazy, wondering what he was going to make of all of this. I rolled the brooch in and out of his shirt that I was wearing. But he looked so concerned and worried that I had to tell him. "See, I've only known since yesterday night but I'm -"

The door suddenly banged open and from the light from the hall way, we could see four dark figures. Three of them stood upright, the other one on all fours. I gasped and Caden's natural instinct was to wrap his arms around me and pull me protectively to his chest. I heard his heartbeat pick up the pace by like two million. "What do you want with us?" Caden yelled at them. One of the taller men stepped forward and held his palms up. "Don't worry, Alpha. We just wanna have ourselves some fun." he said sinisterly. Caden breathed heavily. "Well, there's a playground just around the block; you can have tons of fun there." he spat.

The guy gave one of those laughs where you just knew that he didn't find it the slightest bit funny. Then he turned and hit the lights open. We looked at him. He was definitely a rogue. He had this mass of unbrushed blond hair and a stubble, a scar running alongside his left cheek. "Aw, isn't that adorable?Alpha protecting his girl." he said pushing his bottom lip out and placing a hand on his heart mockingly. Caden growled and pushed me behind him. I buried my face in his back, gripping onto his shirt. "So, what is she Alpha? Girlfriend?" he asked, when Caden didn't answer, the rogue gasped as if he'd just figured something out.