Chapter Three

Lily.

"So...Milly."

"It's Lily."

"Right. Where did you say your mom was?"

I ran a little, struggling slightly to catch up to his strides up the path. It was getting late now and it made the path harder to see. "Europe. Sick relative." I replied, a little breathless. I looked up to see my dad narrowing his eyes in deep thought. "You know," I said "I don't know why I never met you. Could you tell me? Mom always said no."

He stopped so abruptly that I nearly bashed my nose on his hip. I looked up at him and he gave me a sideways glance. "While your here, I don't want you to talk about the past. Got it?"

I was about to question him but I decided against it. Instead I gave him a mock salute "Aye, aye, captain." I said flatly. He looked furious but he just kept walking up this path surrounded by trees.

"Where are we going?" I asked after a moments silence. Even from the back, I knew he'd rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"My house."

My mom had told me that he had a bedroom at the pack house when he needed to keep an eye on things and his own house further down when he needed some quiet. So stupid.

"Why is it so far?"

"It's not. I just can't use my wolf speed cos you won't be able to catch up."

I glared at him "Don't flatter yourself." I muttered under my breath. But obviously not under enough because he stopped again and looked down at me. "If you're gonna stay here, you're gonna learn to be quiet. Like, all the time." He growled at me, his brown eyes momentarily flaring to yellow. Wow, guess who wins the Father of the Year award.

I pressed my lips together and then stuck my tongue out behind his back.

We got to his wretched house, which was impressively huge and modern, and stepped in.

"Right. Sit on the couch. We're gonna lay down some ground rules."

I obediently sat on his sleek black leather couch. Honestly, if i'd sat on a block of wood, it would have made no difference.

My dad stood in front of me, that frown still on his face. He looked at me and then above and then to the side. I tried smiling at him but I then found out that he doesn't do smiling. At all.

I remember my mom telling me that he had 'the most dazzling smile you'll ever see.' I have yet to see her point being proven. I didn't know how I was supposed to even pull this off, I could barely manage a day with him, how was I supposed to get through the rest of my life here?

He cleared his throat "Okay, you don't touch anything in here or the kitchen and you don't leave the Pack territory unless you're with someone." He stated. I tilted my head innocently "What about my bedroom?" I asked.

His eyes widened "Bedroom?" He repeated like it was the last thing a person would need. "Yes, you know. That room. With a bed in it?"

He recovered a little and then thought about it."You'll sleep in one of the guest bedrooms at the Pack House." He said snapping his fingers like it was simple. I really wanted to stay here with him. Even if he was a jerk. He was the only person I had left.

"Can't I stay here?" I asked, blinking up at him as sweetly as I could. My dad looked annoyed "No."

"But I can't sleep in the Pack House!" I whined. He folded his big arms "Why not?" He asked. I searched desperatly for a reason. Because I love you? Nah, too much of a lie. Because I'm scared of the dark? Too much truth.