Chapter Five

Lily.

I snapped my suitcase shut and looked up at Tillie. "Do you think he's gonna change his mind?" I asked miserably. She nodded, a little uncertain. "You're his daughter. He just has to realise that this is what having a kid means," She said firmly. I nodded, still feeling guilty. If I had have known it was because he needed to protect a pack I never would have made him come home. If I had have known that the rogue who hurt my mom was gonna be there, I definitely wouldn't have done it. It's just that I had virtually no one and he was the only family member I had left.

"Besides, with the cookies you made him, how can he say no?"

I looked up at her. "Yeah," but that didn't change the fact that he was kicking me out. "I'm gonna say goodbye." I said miserably. I left the suitcase in front of the door and then went upstairs. I hovered outside his bedroom where he was with Nick.

"...so you need to change your mind!" Nick said. I heard an unpromising grunt. "No,"

Nick sighed. "Look," he said "She's the only thing you have left of Kali. She would hate you if she knew how you were treating your daughter."

There was a pause.

"All I know is that Kali is alive and -"

"How do you know that? Don't you think it's weird that she didn't bring Lily herself? We still don't know for sure where she is. We don't know if Kali is going to come pick Lily up." then Nick's voice raised. "We don't know anything, Cay! Yet you wanna turn your only child away?!"

I heard Caden growl. "Fine. I'll keep her, just to find out what happened to Kali."

"Caden! This is a child! You can't do this to her -"

I pushed open the door briskly, startling them both.

"I just wanna say goodbye and - and thank you for everything. It was nice seeing you." I rushed. Half way through the sentence I was choked up with tears.

Nick looked pained but my own father was just staring at me blankly. He wasn't wearing a shirt and I saw what looked like a bullet wound on his side. It didn't look like it would ever heal.

He also had a tattoo. I looked to see a medium sized wolf paw print in a tribal style just above his heart. I had to admit it was pretty cool.

I gave him a weak smile and turned away.

"Lily, wait!"

I wanted it to be Caden's voice but it wasn't. Nick ran and caught up with me.

"Why don't you stay -"

Suddenly, Caden was beside him. "No,"

"Caden! What the hell is wrong with you?"

I shook my head "It's okay. Tillie and her family are gonna take me in until I find another family member to stay with." I mumbled, wiping my cheeks.

Nick glared at Caden accusingly.

I sighed and went back downstairs. "Lets go, Tee."

Caden stood at the top of the stairs, looking hard at me. It was hard to tell what he was thinking or what he felt.

Nick looked furious but there was nothing he could do. He wasn't the Alpha.

I closed the door quietly behind me and Tillie as we stepped out into the cool air. Tillie only held my hand tight and without another word, she leads me back down the trail and into her parents car.

*

I should have loved having all the attention that Tillie's family were giving me. I should have loved the warm atmosphere and freshly cooked meals. I should have, but I didn't.