Chapter 29: The aftermath

Zayn's P.O.V.

"I'm sorry" Sophie whispered, as her head turned to the side, her body going limp. I heard it as almost nothing, but I did hear it. A final puff of carbon dioxide escaped her mouth. Nothing was left of the girl that I had only known for a short amount of time. 

The room was entirely quiet. Everyone obviously shocked. Till I finally heard the sound of feet shuffling out the door. Callie had gone to go get a doctor. She came back just a minute later with a swarm of nurses and doctors. Someone was grabbing me, and leading me out of the room. I didn't struggle. Everything around me seemed to blur, and I suddenly felt dizzy. I had too many thoughts about what I had just witnessed. 

The girl I knew I loved, was dead. All because of me. 

I should never have agreed to help my ex, then maybe she wouldn't have run off. Then she wouldn't have been shot. And she could be alive, safe, in my arms. I closed my eyes, trying to block out the voices that were talking to me, telling me it was all my fault. But I couldn't help but listen. Because...it was true. It was my fault. And now Sophie is gone.

The nurse that was dragging me eventually got me in the waiting room where I was before when we were all waiting to see if she was okay. Obviously she isn't now...but that's beside the point.

My mind started to cloud with a million thoughts at once. What I could have done, how all of this could have been avoided. But that wasn't the worst thing. My mind started to drift into a dark place as I sat down in one of the chairs, sinking as low as I could into the uncomfortable cushioned seats. 

Is this all my fault? Did I do this to her? It must be...or else she never would have gotten shot in the first place. I don't know how I can live without her now...it may have only been a short time since we met, but there was already so much we shared with each other, so much chemistry that was built up in this small period. All of this happened, just because of some contest giving away free tickets to see...me and the boys. All of this, because of one fateful day.

Why is fate so cruel? It had to force us to meet. Force me to have so much heartbreak. I had never felt this way for any other girl before, and that's probably what makes this hurt the most. All of this....pain, caused by a simple ticket, a simple flight, a simple cab....

I smiled a little to myself as I remembered that day. It was just another ordinary flight. I was heading back home to London with the buys with our final concert on our world tour. Then I was going to get some much needed relaxation. I guess that never did happen. But I only have the one regret. The rest was....pretty damn amazing. 

I will always, now and forever...miss you. Sophia Palmer. 

~*~

Sophie's P.O.V.

Darkness. Once again, darkness. But this time seemed different. There were no memories. No people. Just the dark, and me. I felt nothing. Numbness spread throughout me as I seemed to float in a never ending void.

I had no thoughts. No words. Just the silence that hung in the air around me like a thick blanket. I wasn't sure if this was anything like last time...but then I realized, what last time? I remembered nothing.

There was nothing. 

I had no memories.

Who am I?

\What is my name?

Where am I?

When everything came flooding back into my head, the good. the bad. Everything.

And I was happy. For the first time in forever, I was the happiest anyone could be.

I was dead. 

And that was okay. 

I knew people would miss me, I understood that now. But that was where I realized it was just a necassary obstacle for my friends..and Zayn.

I would miss Zayn terribly. And I knew one day that I would see him again. Somewhere, it didn't matter if he had found another girl, or got married, or had kids. Or whatever.

Everything was okay.

That's when I saw it. The smallest beam of light you could ever see. If this were real, it wouldn't be noticed. But the dark was so intense, that It was so blatantly obvious. I reached for it. But it seemed to move away.

I felt something. I wasn't sure what that 'something' was, but it was there. A tingling. I felt it up and down my body.

I seemed to swim through the void, towards the beam, and reached for it again. It moved away again, but this time, it grew bigger as it did so. I swam for it a second time, ending with the same result.

I repeated this again

And again.

And again.

And several times after that.

I supposed it seemed pointless to continue, but it didn't seem like I had anything else to do, and I didn't feel tired, so what did I have to lose?

Everytime the beam moved, it got bigger. Till the void was almost completely in white. Beautiful, shining white light, that seemed to sparkle in the air.

Dozens more attempts followed, and more feeling returned. I suddenly felt exhausted. But something told me to keep trying. At least one more time. And so I did.

I swam foreward, leaning in, and balancing myself straight, I reached for the light for the last time. One last attempt at...whatever this was. I had no idea what I was doing, I had no idea why I was doing it in the first place, but that didn't seem to matter.

The whole void was completely lit now. My arm inched foreward, threatening to drop from the exhausting that was causing my body to shake. I wasn't sure what the after math would be if I reached for this blinding white light again, but it was all that mattered. 

I made contact with the beam.

And then, the truth hit me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~