Public Spaces

Imagine Person A hugging Person B. Person B wasn't fully prepared and starts to fall over. Person A is barely able to hold them up.

It was Friday night and New York City hummed with life, something not uncommon for the city on any night of the week. But the relief of the week's end spilled into every fibre of the place. The humidity of the urban landscape on that particular night brought practically the entire population out and into the many restaurants, bars and clubs. Revelers spilled out onto the streets, vivacious and rowdy, ready for a good time after a long working week.

The evening had now given way to early dawn; couples with children had made their way home hours before to relieve babysitters, the twenty-somethings were still wading through nightclubs and raves, while the rest were beginning to call it a night.

One couple in particular had begun their journey home, though instead of going through the hassle of attempting to hail a cab, they had decided to walk the many blocks that would take them to his apartment.

He was tall and handsome, wearing a navy blue suit, white shirt and open collar. His widow's peak gave way to his greying hair, which was slightly rumpled as if someone had been running their hands continuously through it at any given opportunity. On his arm was the woman he considered to be the most natural of beauties. She wore a black laced cocktail dress, which hit just above her knees, bare legs and matching black heels. Her hair was blonde and curled, her makeup had once been immaculate but was now sliding from its set place after a long night of endurance. They zigzagged down the quiet side streets, laughing raucously and passing her purse between them as they took turns to carry it.

Jessica held Danny's arm, though it was becoming more necessary as an act to keep him upright, rather than one of affection.

"It was though, Jess," he said, trailing his opposite hand along some wooden fencing as they passed. "I've had a brilliant night, and your friends were fucking hilarious."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it darling," Jessica replied. "I've known Alan and Grant a really long time, they've always been special to me."

They walked along in silence for a while, Jessica's heels clicked rhythmically on the pavement while her purse took residence under her free arm.

"Are you hungry babe?" Danny asked.

"Not really, I'm just ready for bed now," Jessica replied, yawning. "We can stop and get something if you'd like."

"No, I'm fine," he smiled.

Without warning, Danny wriggled free from her grasp and pulled her to a stop and into a warm, tight bear hug.

"God, shit Danny!" Jessica exclaimed as she staggered backwards.

He had given her more of his weight than intended and she was just about managing to keep them on their feet. Realising his mistake, Danny took a step back and attempted to achieve some composure.

"Sorry babe," he said, closing his eyes and scratching his head.

"Are you alright," Jessica asked, examining his clenched eyelids and holding her hands out to steady his swaying posture.

"Yeah," he opened his eyes and reached for her once more, kissing her gently this time and sweeping her ruffled hair out of her face, attempting to show her he still had some element of control after their heavy night of drinking.

Jessica secretly loved him drunk. Instead of turning aggressive or argumentative, or leaving her for hours alone, Danny turned into a big, lovable fool. His levels of affection skyrocketed, he was clumsily attentive to her every need, even the ones she didn't know she had. But, most of all, he was completely uninhibited.