Preparing

So as I sorta promised here's another chapter in the same week

Hollyleaf woke to the sound of voices. At first she thought that she was still dreaming, there was only her and Fallen Leaves in the cave. Then she remembered where they were. "Nice to see your up early." Hollyleaf sat up and turned to see Jayfeather sorting herbs in the back of the den. Hollyleaf looked towards Fallen Leaves den and almost panicked when she didn't see him.

Hollyleaf got up and started toward the entrance but before she could leave the den Jayfeather spoke again. "Hollyleaf I'm not mad at you. I was just really worried that you had died in those tunnels." Hollyleaf turned to look at Jayfeather and she suddenly relaxed. "Well I'm okay now and I'm not going to worry anyone like that again." Jayfeather seemed relieved, "that's good."

With that said he turned back to his sorting and Hollyleaf left him to it as she went into the clearing to look for Fallen Leaves. She stretched as soon as she exited the den and then looked around for her companion. He was talking to Leafpool in the middle of the clearing. Hollyleaf didn't want to talk to Leafpool so instead she padded towards the fresh kill pile and took a squirrel for herself.

It felt nice to be eating something other than fish or the occasional mouse. Hollyleaf rarely left the tunnels to hunt in case she was spotted by a patrol. Almost as soon as she had tucked into her prey she heard pawsteps and looked up. Fallen Leaves was standing over her. She flicked her ear to the spot next to her and Fallen Leaves settled down next to her. Not for the first time he didn't eat and Hollyleaf couldn't smell any prey scent on him.

"What were you talking to Leafpool about?" She asked between bites. "I was asking her about the different herbs and poultrices that medicine cats know of" Hollyleaf was suddenly confused. "Why do you need to learn those? You already know a lot about that stuff." Fallen Leaves let out a purr of amusement and flicked his tail across Hollyleaf's ear. "I only know the basic herbs and poultrices but your always hurting yourself so I needed to know more."

"I see" she went back to her squirrel. How did Fallen Leaves know about herbs to begin with? Hollyleaf was tempted to ask but decided against it. She would ask after they had returned to the tunnels. "I think we should go on a patrol to help the camp prepare" Hollyleaf said as she pushed to rest of her squirrel to Fallen Leaves. By now he knew that she would make sure he ate and he finished it off quickly and sat up swiping his tounge over his lips. "Thats a good idea. Let's ask Firestar if we can join a patrol"

They waited until most of the camp was up and then padded over to Firestar and Brambleclaw. "Dustpelt you lead a hunting patrol take Lionblaze and Cinderheart along with the apprentices. Try hunting away from the WindClan border, we don't want any confrontations with them just yet." The brown tom nodded and went off to collect the cats for his patrol. "Hollyleaf and Fallen Leaves you two can join Graystripe on his patrol. He was just going to get Mousewhisker to join to. I want to keep a close eye on the border but not show that we are adding extra patrols. So you four will renew the scent markings and then report back.

Hollyleaf nodded and turned to find Graystripe. He was emerging from the warriors den with a sleepy looking gray and white tom trailing after him. They padded up to the two cats and Hollyleaf dipped her head, "Brambleclaw said we should join your patrol" Graystripe nodded and the four cats set out at a brisk pace. Hollyleaf had forgotten the feeling of going on a real patrol.

"See Fallen Leaves when we did patrols in the tunnels it was nothing like this." He flicked his ears at her, "yeah this is different." Hollyleaf didn't know if that was good or not but the patrol walked on in silence. Hollyleaf took in every tree and rock as if she had never seen them before. "Lets hunt here and then patrol the border." Graystripe's voice broke into her thoughts. Just as they were about to split up they heard a sneer.

"So apparently ThunderClan is taking in strays now" Hollyleaf whipped around to see three cats on patrol standing across from them, the one who had spoke was Breezepelt. "Guess you really don't have enough cats. Your showing the new kittypets around." Hollyleaf dug her claws into the ground. She saw Crowfeather in the patrol and she wanted barely to sink her claws into his pelt. "Were not kittypets and if you don't believe me come on over and I'll show you just how well I fight"

With that Breezepelt flew at Hollyleaf and the two tumbled onto the ground. Hollyleaf felt claws rake her fur and she twisted and scored her claws down Breezepelts flank. Suddenly she felt a force pull her back and she looked up to see Fallen Leaves gripping her by the scruff and dragging her away from the fight. Graystripe chased Breezepelt back across the border and came over to check on Hollyleaf. "We should take her back to camp so Jayfeather can check her out" Fallen Leaves nodded and let go of Hollyleaf. She scrambled to her paws and felt her sides sting.

Was she really cut out for Clan life anymore? Or had she already become to soft and sensitive being in the tunnels so long?

Enjoy