Chapter 21

- Emmalina's Point of View -

Why do I always get into the worst possible situation, I thought. I was trudging along in the mud tied to the back of a wagon, and it was very, very cold.

"Emma, why won't you talk to Callum?" Samantha asked me.

I grew stubborn once more.

"Because all he can think about is that God of his."

Samantha gave me a cold look.

"He's not, that God, He's God. And he just happens to be mine as well."

"But that's all Callum seems to talk about."

"That's not true, and you know it. And even if it was, there's nothing wrong with that. At least he has something to look to when times are bad instead of just feeling sorry for himself."

Her words cut like a knife, but I knew they were true. I was acting very immature and childish. I was holding a grudge against one of my best friends because I was moping off about how unlucky I was. I had forgotten that he lost his parents too. At least I got one of mine back.

"I'm sorry Samantha. You're right. I shouldn't have reacted like a three year old."

She seemed surprised, but happy at the same time.

"Ah, I'm sorry to. I shouldn't have jumped on your back like that...Now would you do me a favor and tell Callum you're sorry?"

I took a deep breath. This wasn't going to be easy. Samantha had a way of keeping things from getting awkward. Callum...Did not.

"Fine." I finally answered.

I slowly walked over to Callum who was tied on the other side of the wagon. He was looking down at his tied hands and didn't notice me.

"Cal, I just wanted to say...I'm sorry. I was acting like a little kid. You should be able to talk as much as you want about your faith. I'm even happy you have a faith to look to." When I said it, I realized, I wasn't lying. I really was. Then that empty feeling came back. What was I missing?

Callum looked at me then smiled.

"Any other time you'd be lying. But you're not. You're telling the truth, and that's all I wanted to hear."

How could he tell? How did he know when I was lying or not?

"Callum," I finally decided to ask him.

"How can you tell?"

"Tell what?"

"If I'm lying or not?"

He shrugged.

"I...I don't really know. I just...Know." And he smiled again.

"You always do that." I said.

"Do what?"

"Whenever something bad is happening, and when you don't know something, you always smile. In fact, you always just smile at random times. Why?"

He looked at me for a second and I could see deep into those blue eyes, seeing the gentle soul behind them.

"Because I can."

I made a puzzled look and he continued on to explain.

"Haven't you noticed, that whenever you're happy, you smile?"

I nodded.

"Well, what if it also works the other way around? I smile, and it makes me happy. Even if it's only for a brief second. Never forget to smile, Em."