7. Spring Break

"Do you want a soda?"

"No."

"Do you want some ice cream?"

"No."

"Can I buy you some pizza or something?

"If you keep trying to do nice things for me I will cut you."

Kelsey shifted uncomfortably. "I ran you over."

I lifted my eyebrow. "With a car, I know. I lived, and the hospital said nothing was really wrong with me, so they didn't even keep me an hour after I woke up. So, drop it."

She hesitated, looking at me. "But..."

I sighed in irritation. "If I let you do something for me, will you stop talking about it and forget it happened? It was my fault you hit me anyway."

"No, I should've been watching. And I shouldn't have forgotten to see you after school. If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have had to drive back to school."

"You ignored my question."

"Yeah, I'd feel better if I made it up to you somehow."

"Then get him out of my house," I growled, pointing at Corey.

He was dead asleep on the couch across from me, and he hadn't left my house since Kelsey hit me three days ago. Let me just repeat that: three days ago, and he didn't leave or talk to me more than he could help. He kept whining about 'stay away from me, stay away from me' and now he was just going to live at my house? During spring break? No. He needed to leave. I had no interest in seeing him. Then again, it was hard to kick someone out of your house after they stayed with you waiting for an ambulance then apparently stayed at the hospital, even though he never came in my room during the three hours I was there.

Kelsey looked at him without much friendliness. "I don't want him here either, Ryder, but how am I meant to move a two hundred plus pound guy off of your couch? He's like two feet taller than me."

"Everyone is two feet taller than you, Kelsey."

"Nuh uh," she disagreed.

I sighed and clicked through the channels of my TV without much interest. "I have plans for the next two weeks, you know. You two can't keep me hostage here forever."

"Like hell we can't," a low voice rumbled from the couch across from me.

"Try to stop me," I shot back.

"I will."

I glared at him. "I truly hate you, I hope you know that."

"I don't care."

I sighed and laid down, sinking lower in the couch until I was essentially just a puddle against the tough fabric. Pulling my earbuds out from behind me, I started playing 'Goner' by twenty one pilots and closed my eyes. Even though I wasn't badly injured, my head was still killing me. Luckily, I was able to sneak a few Aspirins when my two asshole guards weren't looking. I didn't want them to think anything was wrong with me or else they would just keep me here longer, and I really did have plans.

A pencil hit me in the arm and I took out my earbuds, glaring at Kelsey. She raised her hands in submission and I sighed. "Why do I even bother," I sighed. I turned to face Corey. "What?"

"I asked where you thought you were going."

"Believe it or not, I have a guy to see. We're going camping."

Corey stiffened. "You have a boyfriend?" For whatever reason, there was anger in his eyes. Was he just mad because I didn't tell him about the camping trip? I didn't have to tell him anything about me. "You didn't mention that. Who is he? Is he good to you?"

I glared. "I don't have to answer you."

"True. You could also just risk me following you and finding out anyway."

"He's flaming gay. I mean, I would be interested in him, but he sucks too much dick for me to be in to him."

"Oh my god!" Kelsey squealed, suddenly jumping up. "Are you talking about who I think you're talking about?" She began wiggling in excitement. "Is Devon really coming home? Is he? I can't wait to see him!"

I laughed, shaking my head. "You weren't meant to know, he was going to show up on your birthday."

"Oh my god! Ryder! You got him to come back just for my birthday?" She was staring at me, her eyes brimming a little bit. "That is so incredibly sweet! You knew how much I missed him and you made him come back? How long is he staying?"

"You, me, and him are going camping for about three days, then he has to fly back to Denver. He seemed a bit grumpy when I called him though. I think the baby is keeping him up."

"Baby?" she squeaked.

I nodded. "His name is Xavier, and he's about four months old now I think."

"I think he's gonna make a great dad," she decided, plopping down on the couch again.

I smiled. I knew she'd be excited.

Corey spoke up. "Um. Yeah. I'm lost. Who's the gay guy?"

"He's Ryder's cousin. He's the only one that was there for Ryder when--"

"Shut it or I'll cancel his flight," I threatened.

Her mouth clamped shut immediately.

"He's my cousin, and my best friend. As I mentioned, he has a baby now. He dated a guy for about four years, and now that he's twenty two, he adopted. Quite honestly, I'm proud to call him my cousin." I looked at Corey, daring him to say something negative so I could beat him like I'd been meaning to.

But he didn't say anything.

* * * * *

I hadn't slept in my room since the night Corey had slept here the first time. Both he and Kelsey insisted that they needed to sleep in the same room as me so that they could make sure I was really okay, and I would have been fine with that; if Corey wasn't part of the deal. He was ruining everything. I couldn't stand it.

I looked at my bed thoughtfully, and then at Bear, who was sleeping on the floor next to it. I loved him. He was the only thing of my brother that I had left now, and he had been my best friend since I was born. The dog my father bought me for my fifth birthday was mean and would always bite me, but Bear would just jump on it and wrestle it away. In all actuality, I couldn't remember anything about that dog. It was white, I remembered that much, but I didn't know what its name was or what breed of dog it was anymore. It didn't matter to me.

Crawling over to the old dog, I layed on my stomach, looking in to his deep brown eyes. "Hey Bear," I whispered. "How're you doing, buddy?" I stroked behind his ear very gently. He was normally pretty sore, but behind his ear was one place that he could handle being pet.

Bear gave a sort of huff-snort in response, and I smiled. "Me too."

I crawled over closer to him, and just like I had done my entire life when I needed focus, I laid my head on his ribs and closed my eyes. I continued stroking him, happy that he didn't growl in protest to me snuggling up to him.

I guess I must have fallen asleep, because when I was conscious of the world around me again, I wasn't on the ground. Instead, I was in someone's arms, dangling off of the floor. The warmth and scent made me snuggle in a little closer, making me happy to feel someone with me again. No one had picked me up since I was three years old. It made me feel...safe.

The fabric of a bed registered under my feet, and I was released gently on to a bed.

But I didn't want whoever it was to go yet.

"No..." I protested sleepily, keeping my hand on the arm of the person.

"Go to bed, Ry," the quiet, deep voice ordered. It reminded me a little bit of Kale's voice.

"Okay," I mumbled.

The voice muttered something about me being more compliant when I was tired, and then I heard the door begin to creak shut. "Goodnight, Ry."

"Goodnight Kale," I murmured.

I fell back to sleep immediately.