24. Phone Call

Kelsey's P.O.V.

I hung up the phone, relieved that Jason was so willing to pick up Sky and bring her over. My dad hated dogs, but Ryder needed her right now. She needed so much right now.

Fury rose in my chest. No one had ever made me as angry as I was right now. He had said that he wouldn't hurt her. That he wouldn't leave her. That he loved her. And now, he had left her, without any reason or warning. I hated him. He had never been my favorite person, but he made her happy, and that was enough for me to believe that he had some good in him somewhere. I was so wrong to think that.

I dialed the phone roughly with tears in my eyes.

"I love him. I love him, and he's leaving."

The image of Ryder, broken, crying, and coming to me for any kind of comfort was causing tears to fill my eyes. She didn't deserve any of this. She was a good person, and she was being destroyed by someone that didn't deserve to even know her.

"What is it, Kelsey?"

"I hope you know what you did," I said, trying to keep my voice's trembling to a minimum. "You ruined everything!" I yelled in to the phone. So much for staying calm. "You hurt her! You said you wouldn't do anything to hurt her, and you lied! If you ever come anywhere near us again I swear to god that I will have you arrested and...and...and there will be a restraining order, and Jason will beat you up, and...and...!" I couldn't help my sob as I went down, sitting on the step of my porch with my knees pulled up to my chest. "I hate you!" I yelled. "You ruined everything! She was happy! For the first time in years, Ryder was happy and you ruined it!"

He was silent on the other end.

Then the call disconnected.

I truly hated him. He couldn't even give me a reason for why he did this to her. For why he came and screwed up her life further. For why he was leaving. For why he didn't have a reason for why he was leaving. If I ever saw him again, I would make his life a living hell for doing this to her.

I felt my dad's arms wrap around my shoulders. "It's okay, Kells," he murmured.

"Shut up," I whimpered, wiping my nose. "You don't even like her."

"I saw that girl when she was at her worst, Kelsey. This is bad, but it can't get worse than it was before. She'll recover from this. Whether I like her or not, I can acknowledge that she's a strong young woman." He pulled me against his chest, kissed me on the top of the head, and sighed quietly. "Your friend needs you right now honey. You need to be strong for her, alright?"

"Okay daddy," I murmured, wiping my eyes.

"Good girl."

I wiped my eyes one more time before I walked in to my room. She needed someone that wouldn't leave her right now. And I was going to be that person for her.

* * * * *

Emily's P.O.V.

I crawled up to Corey's door to yell at him again. He was on the phone. Pushing open the door a little, I listened the best I could. Someone was talking very loudly to him.

Corey didn't look happy. His eyes were closed, and his arm was shaking a little bit.

Suddenly there was a snap, and his phone broke.

"Why did you break your phone?" I asked, pushing the door open further.

"Because I did a bad thing, and I shouldn't have a phone," he said.

"You sound funny."

"My throat hurts."

"Mommy has medicine."

"I don't need any, Em. Can you come here, please?"

I crossed my arms. "No. You were mean. You're leaving. And you made Ryder cry, I saw it."

"Please, Em."

"You sound like you're going to cry."

"I'm not."

"Liar." I walked over to him anyway, and he pulled me on to his bed quickly, hugging me against his chest hard.

"I can't breathe, Corey!" I whined.

"Neither can I."

Author's Note:

So yeah that's the last chapter. Rather sudden ending ik but I was planning it the whole time I was camping. Should I make a second book? I'm honestly giving it some serious thought, and if any of you want to read more, just comment down below and I'll start working on it :) Thanks for reading <3