9. Devon

I looked at Devon, who was giving Corey the most acidic look I'd ever seen. The room was quiet. It had been silent for two hours now. After I stopped crying and fixed my face, I had to stop Devon from going outside to kill Corey. It wasn't Corey's fault, entirely. Devon knew that, but he didn't care. He was blaming Kelsey and Corey right now, and there was no changing his mind at the moment. In his mind, these two people had just caused his precious little cousin to go in to a state of panic and depression to the point that she had run in to the woods to cry alone.

Finally, Devon spoke. "I'm hungry."

Of course that's the first thing he'd say. "I'll make something."

Devon lifted an eyebrow, a small, sarcastic smile hinting at his features. "I said I'm hungry, not I want food poisoning. Can we go somewhere to eat?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Let me just get dressed and fix my makeup and hair, then we can go, alright?"

"Of course." I truly loved Devon. He was kind, and his voice was smooth, and he never made me feel uncomfortable about crying. He helped me get through everything five years ago, and he made me feel like I had someone that I could trust. Devon was the best person I'd ever had in my life.

I went up the stairs quickly, changed, did my makeup, then began creeping down the stairs. If I knew Devon at all, he was either yelling at them or about to yell at them.

"...if you hurt her again in any way, I will break you, do you understand me?"

I sighed mentally as Devon's voice reached me, but I stopped walking to listen.

"I-You know I didn't mean any harm," Kelsey's trembling voice squeaked out.

For the love of God, go easy on her, Devon. She's like a freaking rabbit, if you scare her too much she'll just drop dead or something.

"I wasn't talking to you, Kelsey, although I'm mad at you too."

Corey didn't say anything.

Finally, I walked the rest of the way down the stairs, and looked at Devon.

He was intensely leaning forward, his elbows on his knees, and there was pure hate in his eyes. When he saw me, his demeanor changed almost simultaneously. "Hey Ryder," he said cheerily. "You ready to go? You still kinda look awful."

I snorted. "Shut up. At least I'm not the one over there dressed like I'm going to a wedding."

"Maybe if you had any fashion sense I wouldn't have to point out your errors."

"Maybe if you pulled the stick out of your ass you wouldn't point them out either." I smirked. "Or maybe you like the stick there."

Devon grinned.

I laughed. Devon was really cool about his sexuality; I was the first person that he had told, and even when I made jokes about it, he laughed along with me because he knew that I loved him and supported him anyway. Honestly, sexuality didn't mean anything to me. I'd never dated, and never really been attracted to anyone very much. Besides, aren't you meant to fall in love with the person? So what if they had the same thing as you between their legs, or the opposite thing? It seemed pretty irrelevant to me.

He stood up. "So is it just you and me, little cousin?"

"Little my ass."

"You do have a small ass, but that's not what we were talking about."

"Suck a dick, Devon."

"Happily."

We both started laughing. After we stopped, I reached around and put my hand in my back pocket. "I don't have a small ass by the way. I just wear baggy clothes, you dill weed."