11. Promise

I sat in the passenger seat of Corey's car, my knees pulled to my chest and my chin resting on them lightly.

"I have questions."

"I figured you did."

Corey fell quiet again for a moment. "Can you answer them?"

"If I know the answer."

Once more, he stopped talking.

We took a turn off of the road, and I looked at him in confusion. "Where are we going?"

"I have a place I want to go."

"We're legitimately a few streets from my house, can't we just talk there?"

"I like the stream better."

I smirked a little bit. "You gonna kill me and let my body wash down the river?"

"Probably," he admitted, returning my smirk.

I laughed, unbuckling my seatbelt, and got out of the car. We walked for a while until we reached the stream, and I sat down at a tree. "I like it here too," I said as he settled himself across from me. Taking a deep breath, I steadied myself. "What kind of questions do you have?"

"A lot."

"Helpful. Where do you want to start?"

"I'm not sure."

"Also helpful."

"Why don't you eat guacamole even though you get it every day?"

"It's gross."

"Then why do you get it?"

This time, I took a bit longer to reply. "My brother," I said finally. "Cody. He loved it, so whenever my mom had some, I would take some and give it to him when she wasn't looking. He wasn't allowed to have more than one serving, but I always got a little too much and gave mine to him because he loved it so much. Old habits die hard."

Corey nodded slowly. "What--"

"Nope," I said, cutting him off. "My turn."

He closed his mouth. "Alright. What is it?"

"Why is some of your hair white when the rest isn't?"

Corey sighed. "Somehow I knew that's where you were going with it."

"I'm waiting."

"Birth defect. Some of my hair is white. It just doesn't grow with any pigment in it. No one really knows what caused it, even the doctors."

"I wouldn't call it a defect."

"I would," he replied bitterly.

Crossing my arms, I gave him a warning look. "Hey, if I'm going to answer your questions, you're going to answer mine, mister."

He was quiet for a few moments before nodding and continuing. "What were they like? Your family?"

Are you trying to make me cry? Because I won't cry in front of you again. "My younger brother was incredibly sweet. I mean, annoying, like all brothers are at one point or another, but he looked up to me, and that felt really good. To feel like an idol, I mean. Kale was the rock. He never cried in front of me, not once. But I could hear it at night, when my dad would hit him. Kale always distracted my dad when he started going after my younger brother or I. Then, he moved out when he turned nineteen and joined the army. I made him promise every time I talked to him that he wouldn't die." My tone grew a little bit colder. "But everyone lies."

"Ryd--"

"My mother was never there. My father was abusive and insane. When my brothers died, my mother moved me here and basically left again. I don't know where she is. I haven't seen her in a few months, but she sends me money."