Subject of Gossip

"Did you see that one couple?"
        "They were so elegant."
        "Who were they?"
        "Are they even from this school?!"
         I held in my laughter as I walked through the cafeteria the following Monday. Many different people were gossiping about the mysterious couple at the masquerade.
       I walked passed Isaac who winked. I winked back and he blinked. I got to the music hall and laughed slightly, but stopped when all of my friends were huddled together in the band room. I froze outside the door and backed up slightly, and checked my watch. I was ten minutes later than usual. Stupid homework making me stay up late Sunday night and making me sleep in. Maybe I can sneak into Mr. Wilson's office and grab his keys...
        "Oh my gosh! You're actually here!" Micaela exclaimed. Dammit, I thought. I quickly took out my phone and texted Isaac.
         Abort! Friend alert!
                   ~Me
         Dammit! Okay see you forth hour 😞
                   ~Isaac

        "Yep!" I said with my best smile.
        "Well it's about time it's been almost four months!" Micaela exclaimed.
        "It'll be four months in four days, but we'll be two days into winter break and celebrating Christmas Eve," Katie explained.
        "Yeah, yeah. Don't get used to it. My dad's schedule is getting messed up therefore resulting in me getting to school later then your desired time," I said and they all just sighed in exasperation.
         "Well anyways. The masquerade was awesome! It was old fashioned and amazing," Lauren rambled.
        "Don't forget that couple!" Micaela exclaimed.
        "Yeah! They were magnificent dancers. They danced just like people did back then," Lisa said (she's an expert on dancing).
       "Their costumes were classy too," Mallory injected.
       "It's like they popped right out of an old time masquerade ball," Katie commented.
       "Yeah! I wanted to talk to them,
but they left the way they came. One second they were there then all the sudden they weren't and then near the end of the dance they just disappeared," Micaela said looking astonished.
        "They sound interesting. Who were they?" I asked pretty convincingly.
         "Nobody knows that's just the thing! It's like they don't even go to this school," Ariel said coming up behind me. "They didn't talk to anyone, they just danced."
        "Sounds like quite the conundrum," I said putting on a puzzled face.
        "That it 'tis," Katie sighed.

          *              *                  *

       "They said what?!" Isaac said laughing his head off.
      "Apparently we were elegant, classy, great dancers, and mysterious," I said laughing also.
       "Wow. We impacted the school, so many people were talking about the 'mysterious couple'. This is so cool," he said excitedly. "Even Mr. Winter talked us."
         "Yeah it was so hard not to burst out laughing," I giggled.
        "Yeah I especially liked how he freaked out right when the bell rang. Just 'alright who the world was that couple at the masquerade?' Then we spent most of class discussing it. Priceless!"
       "Ah yes. People will do anything for gossip and less class time." I leaned against my locker and Isaac leaned his forehead on mine.
       "You know you owe me for this morning right?" I nodded my head. "So why don't we go to our hiding spot and sit in there throughout lunch today and not go to the cafeteria."
       "Alright," I said smiling up at him. What I didn't know at the time was that the choice that seemed so great at the time would come back to bite.