P r o l o g u e

It was about 7 years ago. I was 6 years old. I could hear the screams of my parents from their bedroom. I walked out of my room, hoping to calm them down. My dad comes out at me, and starts screaming.

{Dad}
You ignorant little bastard, what the hell are you doing up? Go to sleep!

He grabbed me by the wrist and shoved me down the stairs. I went tumbling down the wooden steps and hit my head hard on the floor. I don't remember anything after that.

{Police}
Honey, are you okay? We're almost to the hospital. Hang in there, baby.

I heard people talking to me, telling me that it's okay. I don't know what was wrong with me but I was in an ambulance. An EMT was holding tightly onto my hand. I felt a rush of movement. People were yelling all around.

{Doctor}
I need 400 cc's of anesthetic and a cold compress.

{Nurse}
Got it. I need a cold compress stat! It's going to be okay honey, hang in there sweetie.

I felt a shot go through my veins. Then everything went black.

I woke up with bandages on my head. I saw a strange lady standing in the corner of the blurred hospital room. She had long brown hair and she looked young.

{Emma}
Where am I?

{Marissa}
Your in the hospital. You took a bad fall down the stairs and got a concussion. So we stitched you up, and now your all better. What's your name?

{Emma}
Emma. Emma Jade Quinn. Who are you?

{Marissa}
Marissa. I'm your social worker. I help kids who don't have parents.

{Emma}
But...but I already have parents. Where's my Mommy and Daddy?

I began frantically looking around for my,parents, but they were no where to be found.

{Marissa}
Emma, I'm afraid to tell you your parents died. They both shot themselves after your father pushed you down the stairs. I'm sorry sweetie.

I was in too much shock to say anything. I have no parents, where will I go?

{Emma}
Where do I go now?

{Marissa}
Your coming with me to Alton's. It's an orphanage for children up to age 14. You'll fit in perfectly.

I shrugged and got out of the hospital bed. Marissa took me into her car and we'd rove. I fell asleep on the way.

{Marissa}
Emma, we're here,

I looked out my rainy window and saw a large, tall building with brick walls and picket fences. The building read: 'Alton House for Juvenile Orphans'. There was a playground in the front and chalk paintings on the sidewalk. Marissa helped me out of the car and guided me to the entrance. We Alex inside. It was nearly 1 am here in Maryland, so you'd think kids would be asleep. When we walked inside, we saw two children, a boy and a girl, who looked about the same age as me. They were the only ones up.

{Marissa}
Guys, this is the new one. Her name is Emma. Emma, this is Luca and Olyvia. They are your new bed mates. Show her the room.

Luca reached his hand out at me and I grabbed it. Olyvia followed along.

We walked into a small bedroom with 3 beds. They're were posters on the walls and a shag carpet. Olyvia closed the door behind her. The two kids sat around in a circle on the rug and gestured for me to join in.

{Luca}
Hi. I'm Luca. I'm 7 years old.

{Olyvia}
I'm Olyvia. I'm 6. What's your name?

{Emma}
Emma. I'm 6.

{Luca}
I told you I'd still be the oldest one. So, Emma. Welcome to hell!

{Olyvia}
He's kidding. It just seems like hell sometimes. Don't worry, you'll fit in great. You have us now.

Olyvia held out her palm and showed a brown swirl.

{Emma}
What's that? Is that a tattoo?

Luca had one too.

{Olyvia}
Initiation.

Before I could reply, Olyvia had pierced my skin with an ink pen. I now had a brown swirl on my palm.

{Emma}
Ow! What was that for?

{Luca}
Like she said, initiation. Olyvia wants to be a tattoo artist when she gets older, so she bought a kit off eBay for Christmas. Welcome to the club Emma. Your going to be here a while.

I looked at my palm and hugged them both. We will always be best friends. Even when we separate.