Flower Power

It didn't take long for Killian to put two-and-two together. Sunshine said 'neighbors,' and there was only one land Killian had spent months of agonizing negotiations on with the Mayor , the acres next to his house. Killian wanted that old rundown shack—where Sunshine now lived—to be torn down before he bought the property, but Killian hadn't wanted to accrue the additional cost to do so. It had been an eyesore since he could remember and since it was unbowed property it should've been taken care of by the town a long time ago.

With that extra piece of land he'd had plans to start his own farm for independent sustainability. It would mean less contact with people, a goal he had after only two weeks on Earth. And now, now that idea would never happen because the Mayor refused his request and went behind his back. Because of Sunshine too.

"That son-of-a-bitch!" Killian let out another slur of curses in his native tongue as he remembered the conversation with the Mayor.

"I'm sorry, Killian. The poor dears' mother died and left her a large sum of money. Sunshine gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. Plus, she said she was going to renovate that old shack and make it her home. She's all by herself, so it's not like she'll be much trouble anyway," the Mayor said.

Killian snorted. "Are we talking about the same person I met just a few minutes ago? You did meet her, right?"

The Mayor paused and cleared his throat. "So she's a little eccentric—"

"A little eccentric? She's insane. Belongs in a loony bin, not next door to me. A crazed clumsy clod with no manners is not what I need right now! She doesn't knock, she never stops talking, and... and  she can't cook scrambled eggs, Scott! What kind of human can't cook scrambled eggs?"

"Killian, you've been on this planet long enough to know not to refer to them as humans. I've told you with the pop culture being what it is today they latch onto stuff like that like it's a juicy steak. Unless you want to out us and have ours and Earth's government officials down your throat watching your every move, then I suggest you be more careful . The deal is finished. There are no more negotiations to be done, at least with me. Sunshine Powers is now the proud owner. If you want to buy her out then take it up with her."

Killian sighed. "Fine, just know I'm not happy with you."

"I can hear that," Scott said, there was a pause before he continued,"Kill, when's the last time you went to go see Mary?"

Killian cringed at the name of his psychiatrist. "A couple of weeks," he said.

"She knows what you're going through, kid. When she got here she had some problems too. None of us came to Earth lightly."

"The difference is you and Mary were ambassadors and got stationed here... voluntarily. I crash landed and, with my father out of the picture, Mother and I weren't important enough to pick up. "

"That's not true. You know as well as I do that there was nothing left for you in Cassiopeia and your mom knew it, even said this is where you were meant to be. You know she had the gift. That's why she said you'd both be staying."

Killian's heart jolted from a sharp pain. That fateful galactic expedition was the reason why there was nothing left for him and his mother in Cass. His father, who worked with terraforming other planets, had won a trip for his entire family to explore a nearby galaxy.

"Killian-" Scott cleared his throat, "Sunshine's a pretty girl."

"What's that supposed to me?"

"Maybe she can help you with your phobia."

Killian paused, frowning at the phone. "If a professional can't help me what makes you think... oh. I don't think so."

"Your hand gets dull after ten years. And the interspecies breeding program is on the verge of being mandatory if we don't get more volunteers. Have you ever been with a human because you wanted to be and not because you got paid to be?"

"Of course not."

"It's not all whips, chains, and violence. You have no idea how much I wish your mother had confided in me. If I had known you both were having money problems..."

"It's the past."

"You're right. It is the past, but you're still letting it affect your future. Get to know Sunshine... her aura is compatible with you."

Killian paused at the revelation. An aura seer was rare among his kind, just as a seer of the future like his mother. One of the many perks about being an aura seer was seeing relationship compatibility and rapid mood swings. It had something to do with the color of the aura Killian had been told. Being an aura seer was one of the reasons Scott had managed to become an ambassador on Cassiopeia and a government official on Earth. It was an ability that was useful in battle and love.

Killian inhaled shakily. "I don't think I can. It's not just physically either. She's annoying and pushy and..."

"It'll rub off on you. Give her a chance, Kill. Your compatibility with her is off the charts and her fertility has been confirmed."

That was the third reason she was on his shit list. She'd stolen his wanted property and she was compatible with him... yet nothing about her made sense to him. It wasn't because his home planet wasn't Earth either. He'd lived here since he was a child, so even by Earth standards she was an anomaly. Not one damn thing made sense to him when it came to her. Not her name, not her looks, not his supposed compatibility, and especially not her job. Her fucking job... He figured she'd be an activist of some kind or even a librarian, not a part-time waitress at the local Bar & Grill where the uniform left nothing for the imagination.

He knew where she worked, not that he visited or cared, but because she started coming over after her shifts too, not just in the morning for breakfast. Going on two months he's had to deal with her invading his space. What baffled him the most was how she looked at him. Killian wasn't oblivious to how humans responded to his physical features. It was, after all, how he'd made a living with his mom after the crash. It was the only way they were able to make money and stay under the radar. He'd been a kid when he first had to perform oral sex on an older man so he and his mom wouldn't go hungry that night. The word had spread fast after. His clientele became colorful, but most were into violent acts that a human body wouldn't be able to withstand.

Killian shuddered at the unwanted memories. The sounds of squeaking beds, headboards banging, grunting humans taking what they wanted from him. Rancid smells of sour milk mixed with human bodily fluids... Killian gagged and shook his head. So, to say he understood with a sick clarity how he affected the human body was an understatement.

Sunshine.

Sunshine was different. She didn't respond to him sexually, or push herself on him like others had. In fact, if she was attracted to him at all she hid it so well that even his telepathy powers couldn't catch on to them. Most of the time, when he was able to hear her, it was a lot of nonsense that hurt him sensory wise. She was just too loud. Too colorful. Too curious. Too innocent... She was a plague to him in the mornings, but at night—after she left—the milky white curve of her ass cheeks peeking out from that too short work skirt haunted him. And that was the part that pissed him off the most about Sunshine, his sleepless nights and his desire to just be in her.