The Nightmare Begins

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

        "I brought you some extra blankets," I said as I entered Morgana's chambers, carrying the soft blankets in my arms, "I thought you might be cold..." I trailed off as I saw Morgana already fast asleep in her bed. I sighed quietly and a small smile grew on my lips as I saw her sleeping peacefully for what seemed like the first time in weeks, and I quietly stepped forward, placing the blankets at the foot of the bed in case she needed them at night. I glanced over at Morgana one more time to make sure she had everything she needed for the night, and my brows furrowed in confusion when I saw the lit candle on her nightstand. I could've sword I blew it out before I left to fetch the blankets.
        Dismissing my concern, I quickly blew out the candle and grabbed it, walking over to place it on the small table by the window. I then glanced at Morgana one last time, before looking around to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Once I was content, I left the chambers, closing the door behind me quietly.

*The Next Day*

        "I came in with some extra blankets, Gwen already left by then," I recalled the night before as I stood in front of the King and Arthur with Gwen by my side in Morgana's chambers, with Merlin cleaning up the mess that was made. A fire was set on the curtains in Morgana's chambers not long after I left last night, and the glass screen in the window shattered into pieces. Thankfully, Morgana woke up just in time to see the flames, and escaped before she was.... ugh, I can't even think about it without shuddering in horror. The King was now interrogating me and Gwen, seeing as we are Morgana's maids and were the last ones in her chambers. "There was a candle, but I blew it out,"
        "Are you sure?" Uther asked skeptically, and I nodded, silently cursing myself for putting that candle anywhere near the curtains. But then again, I didn't think there was any danger, seeing as there was no fire when I left.
        "I blew it out, I swear," I promised.
        "Anna's been Morgana's servant for quite a long time now, if she said she blew it out, I believe her," Arthur spoke up, and I sent him a thankful smile before looking down, not dismissing the fact that he called me Anna and not Annabelle. Thankfully, the King was way too busy with looking around the chambers to take any notice to it.
        "She could've been burnt alive," Uther spoke in a deep and gruff voice as he inspected the broken window, which was scarcely covered by the now almost completely burnt curtains.
        "The lightning struck the castle roof last night, that could've started the fire," Arthur said.
        "Perhaps," was Uther's only response.
        "What other explanation is there?"
        "Someone started the fire deliberately," Uther said, before turning around and leaving the chambers. Arthur, Gwen, Merlin, and I all shared a look, before Arthur quickly followed his father, but not before glancing at me one last time.

*10 Minutes Later*

        After quickly finishing the cleaning of Morgana's chambers, Merlin and I headed back to Gaius's quarters, while Gwen decided to prepare a hot bath for Morgana, which would, hopefully, calm her down a bit.
        "What I don't understand, Morgana, is how the fire started in the first place," I heard Gaius's door come from his quarters, and I slowed down, Merlin following suit as he glanced at the door.
        "It happened so quickly," I heard Morgana's shaky voice, and shared a look with my brother before we both slowly inched closer to the door. I then peaked through the gap in the door, and Merlin did the same from next to me, only to see Morgana sitting on a chair with a blanket wrapped around her, and Gaius standing next to her with his hand on her shoulder. "It was terrifying,"
        "It's alright," Gaius assured my friend. "You're safe now,"
        "You're the only person apart from Anna whom I've told about my dreams," Morgana said. "I know I can trust you,"
        "Yes, of course you can,"
        "It was-s me," Morgana said, and my eyes widened a bit. "I set the room alight, I started the fire,"
        "I don't understand, did you knock a candle over-"
        "No, that's not what happened," Morgana cut Gaius off. "I did it just... by looking at it, the flame suddenly leapt higher,"
        "It could've been a gust of wind," Gaius said, but Morgana shook her head.
        "It wasn't, it was me," Morgana said, and there was a moment of silence before she spoke again, "It was magic," she said, and my eyes widened, my mouth opening a little in shock as I looked over at Merlin, who was already looking at me with wide eyes.
        "My child-"
        "I'm not a child!"
        "Last night was an accident. It had nothing to do with you. How could it have?" Gaius tried to convince her, and my brows furrowed in confusion and disbelief. Why didn't he tell her the truth. I understand that it's an extremely dangerous topic, but she deserves to know! "I am going to draw you up a fresh remedy that will make you feel better, I promise,"
        "No-"
        "You must trust me," was all Gaius said, and I shook my head. How could he not tell her?

*20 Minutes Later*

        Merlin and I ate our breakfast quietly, not being able to do so before as we were woken up and immediately dragged to Morgana's chambers.
        "I was helping clear up Morgana's chambers earlier while Anna told the King what happened before she left last night," Merlin spoke up, looking at Gaius, who was preparing, what must be, Morgana's new 'remedy'.
        "Hmm?" was Gaius's only response.
        "The window was blown out into the courtyard below," Merlin continued.
        "Mm-hmm,"
        "It's odd, isn't it?" I spoke up this time, my voice a bit colder than usual, "If it was lightning that struck the window like Arthur said, you'd think the glass would fall on the inside of the window," I said, but Gaius didn't even so much as glance at us, which made me shake my head. "It was magic. You know it was," I said, not sugar-coating it, "And, more importantly, so does she," I said, the concern for my friend evident in my voice. And that was when Gaius finally turned to look at me.
        "Morgana knows nothing for certain," he said, before turning back to his potions.
         "Yeah, which makes it even worse!" I exclaimed. "She doesn't know what's happening to her, and it's tearing her apart,"
        "And what would you have me do?" Gaius asked, turning around to face me and my brother.
        "Talk to her," I replied simply, my voice a bit softer, "Tell her she'll be okay," I said as I stood up to step towards Gaius, Merlin following suit. "Tell her that her powers aren't something to be afraid of,"
        "I can't," Gaius said, turning back to what he was doing, which made me look at him confusedly as I shared a glance with Merlin.
        After a moment of silence, I took in a deep breath, and said what was on my mind from the very beginning.
        "Maybe I could speak to her," I proposed, and Gaius looked up sharply.
        "No, Annabelle, you can't,"
        "Why not?" I asked. "I understand what she's going through. Not to mention she's my friend, my best friend, and I want to hep her. And this is the way to do so!"
        "You, and Merlin, must never reveal your secret," Gaius said, his voice quiet but stern as he took a few steps forward as he stared into my eyes."Not to anyone,"
        "Alright, if not Anna, and not me, then someone else," Merlin spoke up, and Gaius looked over at him now.
        "Who? This is a kingdom where magic is outlawed. Have you forgotten that?" Gaius said sharply.
        "But there are those who still practice it," I cut in, catching on to Merlin's trail of thought. "What about the Druids?"
        "Exactly, you said they help people like this," Merlin said.
        "Uther's vowed to destroy them," Gaius said. "The Druids cannot help her. It would be suicide,"
        "Then who can?" I asked, my voice now a bit louder as Gaius started to turn back away.
        "I will," he said, looking at me. "As I've always done,"
        "Then you need to be honest with her," I said, my voice hard as I tried to make understand where I was coming from. "Yes, it's dangerous, especially because she's the King's ward, but that is also the very reason why she needs to know! If she knows of her powers, she can learn to control them, so that there's less danger of her ever getting caught or loosing control, especially in front of the King,"
        "What makes you so certain that you know better than me?!"
        "Because we went through the same thing!" I exclaimed, gesturing to Merlin and myself, and Gaius's eyes softened a little as he looked between us, while Merlin grabbed my hand in comfort. Yes, he was fighting for Morgana because it was the right thing to do, but I was fighting for Morgana for that reason and because she's my best friend, and I'm desperate to help her. And my brother understands that. "I know exactly how she's feeling right now, and so does Merlin. Except she has the opportunity we never had: she can have someone to be there for her,"
        "You cannot get involved in this," Gaius said, his voice now a bit softer. "No good can come of it," he said, and I sighed, looking down, "I meant it, Anna! Stay out of it!" he ordered, his voice no longer soft.
        I shook my head, my eyes on Gaius for a while, before I pulled my hand out of Merlin's and left the quarters, not bothering to finish my breakfast. I heard Merlin call for me, but I ignored him, needing nothing more right now than to know that Morgana is alright. Or... as alright as she can be.

Sorry it took me so long to update, but I decided to change a thing.
IMPORTANT: I will only update another chapter once I get 15 votes on the current one. I'm sorry but sometimes I just feel like no one really cares about this story (even though I do get amazing comments; thank you for that) and I just want to set myself a balance. I hope you understand. And I hope you liked this chapter! Please leave a comment telling me what you think!